+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vacuuming sand in pool...

Default vacuuming sand in pool...

Hey guys, as some of you may have been following my story I have had a pretty entertaining month of trying to get my pool up and running. Well we took apart the filter to add sand and low and behold the inner component was cracked and busted so of course my pool wasnt clean. It wasnt filtering properly.

Anyway, I thinkkkk there is sand on the bottom of my pool now. Either that or sand like dead algae. But since the filter was only 1/3 full when we opened it I am going to say sand.

My question is, can i vacuum it via filter or should I use waste setting? If I use the filter wont it just fill my filter with more sand, possibly over filling it.

Thanks guys, other than this issue my pool is finally clear and happy. Finally. (thank you bbb)

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: vacuuming sand in pool...

If your filter is now correctly filled with sand, then vacuum to waste. You can ALWAYS vacuum to waste, safely.

Carl
    Carl

Thx carl, appreciate the quick help

Just so I know, what happens if u vacuum sand? Does it of thefilter or go back in and stay....

What if it's a little bit of sand like a square foot wide

So Im trying to vacuum up this stuff on my pool floor ANSI see it shooting back out through the return....is it too fine to be grabbed by a sand filter? There is some on the pool step and it doesn't feel like sand at all. It's soft and turns into a cloud of dust if touched under water. Help?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

If you've ever used a clarifier or floc product, sometime you get a residual like you describe--I would just vac it to waste, if you can. If not, you can add a handful of DE to your sand filter (just enough to raise the pressure by 1 psi) and it will help trap smaller particles than the sand can filter alone.
    Janet

+ Reply to Thread