+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shallow End for above ground pool

Default Re: Shallow End for above ground pool

Well I got all my fittings ordered from US Plastics and the length of PVC already here. I'm having real trouble finding the planking though. Home Depot here doesn't have anything like that, and the other big box stores the closest is composite decking, which I have no idea how it would hold up to chlorine.

Do you have a link to the HD Us website for this material?

Mine should be an easier shape, a 3'x10' rectangle, but I'm including rails around it save for the steps in, and a 2' section to go into the pool. That should keep our daughter from accidentally stepping off. Should be fun to see how it turns out.

Any ideas on weighing it down without rocks? I thought about not drilling the PVC out so I could fill the legs with sand, but that would most likely make it too heavy to ever get out.
    14K gal 18 x 32 x 4 oval AG pool; Pentair Optiflo 1HP Dual Speed & C1200 Cartridge Filter; PF:8.5

I'll be at both Home Depot and Lowes later today, so I'll try to get you a part number / manufacturer.

But I suspect it is this
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

I did a google search an found this:
    http://www.royalbuildingproducts.com...door-trim.aspx

There is a pdf brochure you can download.
    Mine looks like the “overlay” pieces shown on page 10. About 6" x 3/4" planks with a rectangular profile.
    They have Woodgrain Embossed and smooth Textured surfaces available.
    In my opinion, use the woodgrain finish for the ‘nonslip’ walking surface.
    It came in 8 / 10 or 12 foot lengths and was very easy to work with.

This year we moved up to a 15 x 30 above ground.
    I put the entire 12 foot by 6 foot platform into the filled pool on my own.
    I am glad I drilled ONLY the top corners of the platform. It made it easy to slide the platform into the pool from the deck since with the air still in the tubes, it floated while I positioned it.
    Once in place, I pushed it down an inch or so to get water into the tubes.
    I am sticking with the rocks as weights since they provide a sort of diving step for the kids.

I would imagine that filled with sand, it would weigh a couple of hundred pounds and be fairly unmovable.

This might work for you though..

Take a couple of 3 foot long 6” PVC lengths. Cap and “glue” one end. Stand upright, fill with sand. Cap and “glue” other end. Now you have a couple of 60 pound weights to lay on the ends or to lay on the structure below. That is how I keep my steps down this year. Cheap and very effective.

Good luck and ask away with any other questions

Great, thanks! That looks like them. Too bad here a 7' is $30, and at HD US its $20 for a 10'. Looks like I'll be making a trip south.
    14K gal 18 x 32 x 4 oval AG pool; Pentair Optiflo 1HP Dual Speed & C1200 Cartridge Filter; PF:8.5

Finally done. I'm not in love with the rail for the stairs as its tight between there and the railing. I may cut and cap it. I went with railings to have a definite entrance and an area to go into the main pool. We'll see if it sinks or floats. I bought some 4" and caps to make sand/water weights to hang under it if its a floater.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Please let us know how it works out!

+ Reply to Thread