+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rust on above ground steel pool

Hybrid View

Default Rust on above ground steel pool

I have a 14 year old 24' round above ground Vogue steel pool. I discovered a rust hole at the base of pool and water had undermined the sand from under the liner around a 1ft section. I removed the liner and I'm debating whether or not to repair the rust and put in a new liner or tear down the pool. When I removed the liner I could see several other places where there is rust. Last summer I put a steel patch around the skimmer. What guidelines should I use to determine if the pool is repairable and to determine if it will be safe?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Rust on above ground steel pool

Hi and welcome to the forum. I can't really advise you well on this issue, but once your registration is finished and your post is moved out into the regular section of the forum, some of our "builder types" should be able to help you.

posguy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst posguy 0

Default Re: Rust on above ground steel pool

I think the size and location of the hole/s and how many would determine a safe repair. The pressure is greatest at the bottom.

I searched high and low to find out about this type of repair and came accross someone saying to get a roll of alum flashing and wrap the entire wall at the base. Personally I wouldnt try this unless the holes were smaller than a quarter, larger than that maybe galv sheet metal. I recently put a piece of alum flashing for a bunch of bb sized holes, but the were not more than 12" below the water line. Sanded them, primed and painted both inside and outside of the wall, duct taped the alum in place and good for several more years (I hope).

+ Reply to Thread