+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: low pH and TA.. help!!

Default low pH and TA.. help!!

So I am a newbie pool owner. My pool is an above ground (not permanent) 4,000. I don't really understand about the chemicals and what I need to add and how much. Pool has only been up a few weeks and only used 2-3 times due to it raining everyday for the past week or two. So far I have just been using half a bag of shock and 1 inch chlorine tabs. Here are my current levels
    TC: 1
    Bromine: 6
    pH: 6.8
    TA: 40
    Stabilizer: 50

So since the pH was low, I bought some Aqua Chem pH up. I followed the directions and added 8oz. I added it about 5-6hrs ago and have had the pump running ever since. I just went back out to check it and it was still 6.8. What else do I need to do to bring it up? Should I add more pH up, if so how much? Would Borax or Baking Soda be better to add since the TA is low too? If so, much of it do I add. I am kind of on a tight budget so which ever method is cheapest and easiest. Thanks so much for any advice. If you need additional information, ask and I will provide what I can.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: low pH and TA.. help!!

OK.
    Your TC and Bromine numbers don't make sense. You are almost certainly not using bromine. When using and OTO test on bromine, the scale is double then when used on chlorine. You either have chlorine or bromine.
    IF your test reads "1" for chlorine, it MUST read "2" for bromine, not 7.

Assuming for the moment your pH and TA scores are correct. The fastest way to raise both is to add pH Up!, Balance Pak 200, or, if you don't want to pay the insane pool store prices, go to your supermarket and buy a box of Arm & Hammer WASHING Soda (not baking soda). Add about 1/4 of the box to start, When it's dissolved and been in the water about an hour, check pH and T/A again, and, as needed keep adding 1/4 boxes, waiting an hour each time.
    I know, I know: What's up with Washing Soda? Well, those expensive pH-raising chemicals are all 100% Sodium Carbonate. And what is Washing Soda? Why, it's 100 % Sodium Carbonate....Same stuff, but HECKUVA lot cheaper!

Carl
    Carl

ok, i just went and rechecked it. you are right, i somehow mixed up the colors. it is TC 1 and bromine 2. looking at the bottle, i have no clue where the 6 even came from because it's not on any of the results, lol. the pH is still 6.8 and TA still 40. I bought some pH up yesterday, followed the instructions and for a 4,000 gallon pool i added 8oz and turned on the pump. and obviously it hasn't changed any of my levels. should i add more, if so how much?

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

6.8 is probably the lowest reading on your tester. If so, you pH could be alot lower.
    If you already have the pH up use it but it sounds like Washing Soda could be cheaper.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    6.8 is probably the lowest reading on your tester. If so, you pH could be alot lower.
    If you already have the pH up use it but it sounds like Washing Soda could be cheaper.
    It actually is the lowest reading, I never even thought about that. I was unfamiliar with all the cheaper methods before I bought the pH up, it wasn't too bad though. $5 for 4lb jug

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

In addition to working on your pH and TA, you need to get some chlorine in there or you are gonna have a GREEN pool with low pH and TA!

Your CYA is perfect at 50 so don't use any more tabs or any more dichlor shock. (I'm assuming it is dichlor shock; correct me if I am wrong.) Trichlor and Dichlor both contain CYA and you don't want yours to go any higher. In addition, both are acidic and will lower your pH so that is another reason not to use them.

Just use plain, unscented household bleach for your source of chlorine. It will not add CYA and will do a great job of sanitizing your water. With a CYA of 50, you need to keep your chlorine level between 3-6 all the time or risk an algae bloom. It is much easier to keep algae away than it is to get rid of it once you have it. Add enough bleach to get the cl up to 6 ASAP. Then, test this evening and add enough bleach to take it back up to 6. Do this every evening when you test. Take the cl back up to 6. In a 4000 gallon pool, each cup of bleach will add just a little under 1ppm of chlorine. Use that as a reference to help you figure out how much bleach to add each evening.

By the way, you can be working on all of these things at the same time. It is just fine to add bleach right after you add Borax, baking soda, washing soda or pH-up -- whichever you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    In addition to working on your pH and TA, you need to get some chlorine in there or you are gonna have a GREEN pool with low pH and TA!

Your CYA is perfect at 50 so don't use any more tabs or any more dichlor shock. (I'm assuming it is dichlor shock; correct me if I am wrong.) Trichlor and Dichlor both contain CYA and you don't want yours to go any higher. In addition, both are acidic and will lower your pH so that is another reason not to use them.

Just use plain, unscented household bleach for your source of chlorine. It will not add CYA and will do a great job of sanitizing your water. With a CYA of 50, you need to keep your chlorine level between 3-6 all the time or risk an algae bloom. It is much easier to keep algae away than it is to get rid of it once you have it. Add enough bleach to get the cl up to 6 ASAP. Then, test this evening and add enough bleach to take it back up to 6. Do this every evening when you test. Take the cl back up to 6. In a 4000 gallon pool, each cup of bleach will add just a little under 1ppm of chlorine. Use that as a reference to help you figure out how much bleach to add each evening.

By the way, you can be working on all of these things at the same time. It is just fine to add bleach right after you add Borax, baking soda, washing soda or pH-up -- whichever you are using.
    I am going to the store in a little bit and going to pick up some bleach (I saw somewhere else something about %6 bleach, does this matter, or just as long as it unscented household bleach?). About an hr ago I added about 12oz pH up..just checked again and still unchanged. Is an hr too quick for it to show a difference, or how long should I wait in between checking it?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Most household bleach is 6% sodium hypochlorite. Occasionally you still find 5.25% but not very often. But, don't waste your time buying 3% if you find that.

I usually wait a couple of hours after adding something before retesting.

Ok, got my bleach. This may sound like a silly question, but how should I pour it in? Do I pour a little bit all around the pool, or just one area, or into my skimmer or how so? And also, how much should I start with pouring, I don't want to pour too much at once. And lastly, for future references, how long should a person wait after pouring bleach to enter the pool?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

In a 4K gallon pool, each cup of 6% bleach should raise your FC by 1 ppm. With a CYA of 50, you need to keep your chlorine levels between 3 and 6 ppm at all times, so that should help you figure out how much to add. When adding it, you can either pour it in the skimmer, assuming you have no other chlorine source like trichlor or cal-hypo in the skimmer, or you can add it into the return stream, pouring slowly so you don't splash it on you, your clothes, or your liner. You can walk around the perimeter of the pool and pour it in, too, being careful not to splash it--just use a broom, net, or other equiment to help stir the water up after you add it.

Once you add the bleach, no need to wait to swim--just make sure it's well mixed into the water, and go! (That's why I put mine into the return stream--it helps dissipate it faster). Might want to make sure eyes are closed underwater for a bit, just in case...
    Janet

+ Reply to Thread