+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Above ground pool / not cleaned for 2 years

Default Above ground pool / not cleaned for 2 years

What's the best way to clean an above ground pool that set for 2 years? This is actually the third year now since its last cleaning. There is algae in clumps on the bottom (there's about 4 feet of water in the pool). I've gotten what I could out with a cleaning net and I've tried to stir the water to get the algae/dirt clumps off the bottom of the pool. I don't want to start the pump up and destroy it by making it overloaded with gunk. This is my first dealing with the cleaning of a pool in about 35 years.

I am guessing that shocking and treating the pool will break down all the "crap" that's currently still in it so that we can then use the pump. But my fiance' disagrees. She thinks we should find a way to remove all the gunk that's still in the pool before we shock and treat it and then fire up the pump.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions with this.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Above ground pool / not cleaned for 2 years

Hi Joe and welcome to the Pool Forum.

I think you and your girlfriend have to compromise on this one. Scoop out as much debris as you can and then let the pump/filter do the rest of the work.

Do you have a good test kit? If not, you need one. Click on the Amazon link in my signature to see the one we recommend. The Taylor K-2006 or 2006C (same kit with 2-oz. vs. 0.75 oz bottles). If the seller listed is not Amato Industries. wait a day or so until they restock before ordering. With major algae like you describe, you'll have to run high chlorine levels which other kits won't be able to read. Order one ASAP (like today) if at all possible.

Also, go to Walmart and stock up on plain, household bleach. Load up your buggy and ignore the funny looks you'll get from other people. If they ask, tell them you have really dirty clothes!

While you are there, also pick up a couple boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle) and also a cheap OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops.)

Scoop out as much debris as is possible. Then, fill the pool up and hook up the equipment and start it up. Use the OTO kit and test pH for now. Post the reading.

Tell us the volume of the pool and we'll suggest an amount of bleach to add to the pool. Also, tell us what kind of filter you have.

We'll help you get this pool going!

Good, thorough advice. Thanks a lot for your reply Watermom. Getting with my fiance' now on your suggestions.

Thanks again. Will post the reading once we got all the ducks in a row.

BTW, the volume is 12,084 gallons.

I forgot to add... we are using an element (accordian style, paper) filter.
    Last edited by Watermom; 06-26-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Above ground pool / not cleaned for 2 years

OK. With that volume, go ahead and add 2 gallons of plain bleach slowly to the skimmer while the pump is running, being careful not to splash you or the liner. That should take your chlorine up to about 10ppm. For now, until that good kit that you are going to order ASAP arrives, use your OTO kit morning and evening. If the color is really dark yellow, only add a gallon of bleach. If it is lighter than that, add 2 gallons of bleach. Run the pump and clean your cartidge filter as necessary.

Post the pH reading when you get it and keep us posted how things are going. Once you get the algae cleared up, we'll talk to you about adding CYA. But, for now lots of bleach and maybe some Borax, depending on your pH reading.

Take some pictures along the way. Once this pool is clear, you're not going to believe that it ever looked this way! Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread