+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on Raypak 2100 Pool Heater

Default Question on Raypak 2100 Pool Heater

I have a Raypak 2100 pool heater, model PR 335A-EN. It is 12 years old and has begun giving me problems. The digital control panel went out years ago and I decided I would just press the up and down arrows rather than spend hundreds of dollars to fix it. This year, I was having trouble starting it up so I took the front panel off. I didn't hear the usual "clicking sound" when trying to start it up so I wiggled the wire going to the ignitor (If that's the correct terminology?). It did make a slightly louder (not like it used to) clicking noise and eventually started. After about 30 seconds, the flames starting coming out of the side (where the panel is) and came very close to melting some of the wiring. Then 2 mice came running out. I did notice that it looked like the wire going to the ignitor may have been "chewed" on, perhaps by the mice. I did leave it runniing for a few minutes and the flames coming out the side did not really subside. I have no question that if I left it running and put the panel back on, the wiriing would melt from the flames. My guess is the burners underneath may need some maintenance (replacement)? I have never had any maintenace done on this heater in 12 years. My question is, should I just replace the heater? I have a feeling it is going to need extensive repairs and may not be worth it after 12 years, and I'm really not sure the extent of damage the mice may have done. What is the average lifespan of these heaters? Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Question on Raypak 2100 Pool Heater

Hi Canaligator,
    I wish I could answer your question for you, but unfortunately, I can't. Hopefully someone will come along who has knowledge of these units who can offer you some help.

I just wanted to pop in and let you know that your post had been read and also to welcome you to the Pool Forum! Glad you found us!

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Welcome to the Forum!

Clean out as much as you can from the mouse nest and any other debris. Then visually check the wires you can see for chew areas or nicks.

Once the heater is rid of vermin, try firing it up again and let us know how it reacts. DO NOT!! leave it running too long before consulting us or your gas company!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's keep everything safe!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Thanks for the help this evening, Ted!

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Thanks for the help this evening, Ted!
    Lisa, it's my pleasure to participate here! I've had issues (both long day at work and some arthritis pain, that's kept me away for the past 2 days) that have disabled my participation -- Tomorrow I go for my second session with the massuse, which I HOPE will fix my shoulder
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Sorry you are hurting. Hope you get some relief soon.

+ Reply to Thread