+ Reply to Thread

Thread: .5 Copper Level OK?

Default .5 Copper Level OK?

Used a copper algaecide about 3 weeks ago, my copper level is .5 according to a pool store computer. Kid behind the counter said that since I'd used an algaecide, it was likely introduced from that, and I don't need to do anything about it. (He didn't try to sell me anything, wow!)

I thnk he's correct, but I thought I'd ask - will this level affect anything? Do I need to do anything about it?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: .5 Copper Level OK?

Normal algaecide levels of copper are between. .3 and .6 ppm. Levels above .3 ppm can cause staining or turn hair green. Levels above .6 are sure to. Howver, since you added the copper and are in the proper range you do not need to do anything except MAKE SURE you pH does not climb above 7.8 (and around 7.4 is much safer) to minimize the possiblility of stains on your pool or the people who go in it.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Ouch. Is there a reasonably easy way to drop down below .3ppm? The only thing I seem to be finding is "drain and refill".

I assume backflushing will eventually drop the levels? I also assume that'll take a LONG time. I'll keep an eye on pH, but would be interested in taking this stuff out of the equation.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Personally I would not do anything. It will come down over time with rain, and evaporation, so that when you refill it will dilute it. If you are not seeing any problems just keep doing what you're doing without adding that algaecide. Just make sure that you read all labels before putting anything in your pool.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

bottom line, the only way copper will come out of your pool is as stain. Good news is that if you only dosed one time with a copper algaecide then there is not enough copper to make any noticeable staining. The problem arises with repeated use. The copper stains out on the pool and then, for what ever reason, the pH drops and the copper redissolves and you have copper levels that are very high (and swimmers with green hair). You can add a sequestrant like Jack's Magic Blue Stuff on a regular basis to keep the copper chelated and in solution but this often deactivates its algaestatic properties.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Yeah, I used that stuff during the week where I had tried to register here but couldn't actually post. After a week I went ahead and paid for a registration, but the damage had already been done, and truth be told, I don't think I had any real algae growth going on.

I'm attempting to work towards BBB, and I won't be putting any stuff like that in there again - nothing but the basic chemicals from now on.

+ Reply to Thread