+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Polaris booster pump problem

Default Polaris booster pump problem

I had a new Polaris pump model PB4-60Q installed by a pool company last fall. I got 12 years out of my original pump.
    I have a 380 polaris cleaner( serviced last fall) in an inground pool. It has worked fine until now. What it is doing is running for a while then shutting off ( the Pump is). The polaris cleaner seems to move around normally until of course the pump shuts off. What could be the cause of the pump shutting off, then starting back up after a period of being off. I have not timed these periods of on/off, but i have never had a pump do this.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Steve

Default Re: Polaris booster pump problem

Anybody? It seems to run a tittle while then shut off, then it will start running again, strange,.... then off again over and over. Man filter on pool is good.
    Last edited by Oclat; 07-04-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: addtion

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I cannot help you. I'm not familiar with the pump-assisted cleaners. I'm familiar with suction side cleaners, return side cleaners and remote control robotics. Hopefully one of our pool pros can.

Carl
    Carl

Thanks Carl

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

could be the cause of the pump shutting off, then starting back up after a period of being off.
    Normally that is caused by the thermal limiter switch turning off the motor when it gets too hot and then when it cools down, it will turn it back on again. Usually a motor will over heat when a bearing goes bad or there is something stuck in the impeller chamber. But given the booster is after the filter, it is probably a bad bearing. Does it make any noise?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

I have not heard any noise, other than the sound of it running. It is only 6 months old as the other one lasted 10 years.

Problem solved. Increased the flow @ Polaris so it moves thru the water faster. Evidently, the restriction/ flow was causing the pump's thermal limiter to get too hot.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread