+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Considering switching to salt generator

Default Considering switching to salt generator

My pool is almost exactly 25K gallons and gunite/plaster. I have a never used Aquarite controller and am wondering what T-cell would be best since the pool size is exactly at the borderline between T-9 and T-15...

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Considering switching to salt generator

Hi, Coolair and welcome to the forum. As soon as Ben finishes with your registration he'll bump your post out into the classified sections of the forum where some of our SWCG people will be able to see your post and give you some advice.

Hope you enjoy the forum!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

As long as you have the capability to 'turn down' your SWCG, bigger is better than smaller. On the same pool, a 2x unit will last almost twice as long as 1x unit, but rarely costs twice as much. Even if the unit doesn't have sufficient native 'turn down', a time clock on the power supply will give you that control.

Two reasons NOT to get a bigger unit:
    #1 - The SWCG is going to be really close to the pool, so the generated chemicals (gasses) don't have time to fully dissolve.
    #2 - You have a poor distribution system and low circulation, so most of the chlorinated water will end up in one 'hot' spot, which could end up being the dead swim suit zone.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Go with the T-15 cell. It will run on a lower output percentage. For Goldline units that means for every 100 minutes of pump time the cell will run for a certain percentage of that time and be off the rest of the time. The cell will last longer, you won't have as fast a pH rise, and there should be slower scale formation in the cell. I am actually running a T-15 cell on a pool that is under 7K gallons with no problems whatsoever! (I have an older Aqualogic that only accepts T-15 cells. Only the newer units can accept T-9 and T-5 cells so make sure yours can if you decide to go with a smaller cell.)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thanks for the great info. I'm inclined to go with the larger unit for the reasons cited.

I'm using a T-15 on a 12k gallon pool, no problems at all. I've been maintaining about 3.5ppm chlorine with it set at 30% and running for 6 hours a day (4pm-10pm). I'm a bit lower than the manufacturers recommendation for CYA so I could probably drop my setting a bit if I corrected that.

When I bought my house with pool the control board was broken, and I ran the pool for a month or so without the swcg. I can't compare the swcg to other brands or models but it definitely makes things easier than standard bleach. You just have to stay on top of pH; I add acid every week or so to keep it in check.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

+ Reply to Thread