+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: switch to suction?

salinda is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher salinda 0

Default Re: switch to suction?

You're right about the law of supply and demand. It pretty much is proven this time, right? I even considered solar photovoltaics, but their price has gone up too, so the payback is still 10 years and you have to be careful sizing the system because in California they don't buy back any excess you make (I think even NY does that!). It is such a shame because our solar energy is so strong.

My plumbing that I can see is all 2". The solar panels are at max flow already and should probably be notched back a little. The head loss through them is a little high right now at 7 psi.

I do run 365, but only about 3 hours in the winter to keep the filtration going and run the sweep to pick up the massive amount of leaves in the winter. The solar is shut down in the winter because I am paranoid and we do get a few light frosts a year. Others have told me that is not necessary, but I am paranoid.

From May to September the solar energy is quite strong. Even before and after that it is pretty okay for a little while. We also get no rain and very little overcast after the morning fog burns off in the summertime. Late afternoon into evening is when the pool seems to get the most gain. I don't have quite enough panels and some of mine have eastern exposure, but I still get heated water from the system. It also keeps the house cool by absorbing the solar energy before it gets inside. One maddening problem I have this year is one little high branch of a tree seems to be shading the solar sensor during the brightest time of day. I have to send my husband (or the solar guys) up there to move the sensor a little.

This pool efficiency company could have a great thing going. Their whole approach and business plan is pretty good. I think there will be a high demand for their services in the next few years, unless solar electric becomes more feasible.

Oh, one more thing about the new auto-vac he is proposing...it runs on low speed. The demo unit is a much smaller pump and it is running just fine. Trying to find out the brand to share and get feedback from everyone....
    Salinda
    owner of ~35,000 gallon plaster IG pool/spa combo. Ikeric Dyna-Miser VS150 filter pump, 2 hp whisperflo spa jet pump, The Pool Cleaner 2x suction cleaner, Clean & Clear Plus 520 cartridge filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM2-40 SWG, Sta-rite 400k heater, solar heat pads and coils.

Hi Salinda,

This is a popular topic here in San Jose given our current rates

Another thing to consider is time of use metering. I'm actually planning to call PG&E within the week to look into it. I think it costs about $200 for the meter (other power companies provide it for free upon request). With time of use metering, you pay higher rates during peak hours between noon and 6pm on weekdays but less on off-peak, holidays, and all day on weekends. If nobody is home during peak hours and you can run all your pool equipment outside of peak hours, it can be a big win. If you're home during the day or have air conditioning, you have to be more careful about making the switch.

The peak penalty varies from about 2.5x at baseline to 1.5x when 300% over baseline (which I think we both hit last month). The off-peak savings varies from about 25% at baseline to about 13% at 300% over baseline. Because peak hours only account for about 17% of the total time, at anything over baseline, I think time-of-use may even work out cheaper if you had flat utilization (i.e., the same consumption rate during peak and non-peak).

(Oh; I've heard that PG&E will try hard to talk you out of the switch, but the handful of people I know that are on it are all saving money.)

Of course, staying closer to baseline helps a lot too. I'm at least considering the two-speed pump for just that reason.

cheers,
    Scott

salinda is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher salinda 0

Scott,

I am home during the day PLUS I have to run the pump during the day for solar. Maybe it is actually worth abandoning the solar and using gas heat? My gas heater is a brand-new very efficient Sta-rite, but gas prices are high too.
    Salinda
    owner of ~35,000 gallon plaster IG pool/spa combo. Ikeric Dyna-Miser VS150 filter pump, 2 hp whisperflo spa jet pump, The Pool Cleaner 2x suction cleaner, Clean & Clear Plus 520 cartridge filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM2-40 SWG, Sta-rite 400k heater, solar heat pads and coils.

+ Reply to Thread