Thread: Need help with starting chlorine after drain/refill

Yeggim is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Yeggim 0

Default Re: Need help with starting chlorine after drain/refill

Quote Originally Posted by aciam View Post
    Hi Ben - here are my numbers for today - I am happy with them:

6/27 10 am FAS-DPD FC 6.5 CC 3 pH 7.2 alk 60-70 added sm amt borax
    2pm FC 5 CC 2-2.5 pH 7.2 added sm amt borax
    7pm FC 5.5 CC 2 pH 7.2 added sm amt borax

I have a test strip to measure CYA and still not showing - don't want to waste reagent by testing for it until abt a week is that right?
    I'd wait too unless Ben says otherwise.

Not sure why pH is not rising despite slow and steady additions of borax - is it all the acid dissolving from the CYA? and the trichlor pucks? or is it getting all stuck in the filter ( I'm adding it thru the skimmer - wondered if it is getting all tied up with the CYA in there?)
    TriChlor pucks are acidic. Borax is very quick to dissolve. The PH drop from the pucks is probably getting balanced from the Borax. That could result in a static PH as they cancel each other out. It's not a result of getting tied up in the filter. One's lowering PH (TriChlor) and one's raising the PH (Borax).

What is my plan now in terms of Cl levels now? where should I be keeping it? If we swim, what should I do in terms of treating the pool after, ie shocking it? thanks! aciam
    You're coming off a Baqaucil conversion?---correct? I'd wait on Ben for any recommendations for Chlorine.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Borax dissolves rapidly enough so that what you add would not get 'stuck' on the filter for long. I'm not sure how much you are adding, but a "small amount" may be simply too small to affect things.

Unless you add CYA directly, you don't need to test for the effect of using trichlor more than once every 2 - 3 weeks. You probably should go ahead and test for calcium and total alkalinity, however.

I wish the CC was lower, but since it's not, using trichlor as you are is probably a good way to chlorinate, as it will tend reduce your CC's.

You probably should try to swim, although I'd be cautious since we really don't know how irritating the remaining CCs are. So limit your swim sessions to brief, but increasing, periods till you are confident that the water is not irritating.

-- I see Yeggim & I have been simul-posting --

Hi Ben -

Here are my numbers from yesterday and today:
    6/28 930 am FC - 5-5.5 CC = 2-2.5 pH 7.2 ( still)
    pucks dissolved so added 1 new trichlor puck and 9 oz of borax

530 pm FC= 4.5 CC= 2.5 Ph still 7.2 added 9oz borax

today 6/29
    930 am FC = 5 CC=1.5 ph still 7.2
    230 pm Fc = 3.5 CC = 1.5 pH still 7.2 alk 60 CYA <30(but the black dot was obscured if I filled the tube to top so there is some in there)
    puck dissolved so new one added
    7pm FC= 3.5 CC= 1-1.5 pH still 7.2

Questions:
    1. I added 2.5 to 3 lbs of CYA on saturday - is today's CYA level accurate at 4 days out? do I need to add anymore or just retest at a later date? I think my chlorine is not too unstable.

2. Ph is very stable at 7.2. alk is now 60 - what should I do at this point? keep adding borax? or use baking soda? because I am using trichlor, which is acidic, will I need to constantly be adding borax over the summer?

3. Why does using trichlor tend to decrease CCs? ( I am happy to see it happening before my eyes!) does that mean I wont be able to use liquid bleach at all? what will I do for shocking?

4. What FC am I shooting to maintain? Am I able to go away at all and leave the pool for a few days? I have no idea how to do that and not screw up the chlorine levels.

Hope to try some swimming tomorrow and will let you know how it goes! Thanks. aciam

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. If you are using trichor, I'd wait a few days before retesting.
    2. Yes, you probably ought to add a box of borax, and yes, you'll probably be adding borax all summer. That is NOT a bad thing. Borax is a pH stabilizer (eventually) and a moderately effective algae inhibitor, once you reach 50 ppm of borates, which will take a bunch of boxes. It's sold as Optimizer or Proteam Supreme for $3 - 5/lb
    3. The TC tabs create a high chlorine zone in the pipes and filter, where the ratio of active chlorine to CC is more favorable. (That's my best guess, anyhow.)
    4. The answer to what are normal levels is CYA dependent -- see the Best Guess page linked in my signature. Are you going away soon? If so, you need to buy some polyquat algaecide -- see www.poolsolutions.com/gd/polyquat.html . . . but do NOT buy the HTH label shown. I just found out HTH has been playing label games. You MUST go by chemical name.

Hi Ben

this morning numbers look good - FC 5 CC 1 pH 7.2

I added what was left of my box of borax and will go to buy more today.

I just need a plan as to what I should be doing with the pH and alk, and when things will be "stable"

Questions and responses to you:
    1. I do have polyquat by clear view - it is exactly the ingredient as you wrote it on the forum at 60%. I used it on saturday at your recommendation - put in 4oz. What do I do now with it?

2. Yes, we were hoping to go away for a few days over the weekend - how do i do that and maintain my chlorine levels?

3. My alk has been 60-70 all week. Do I try to get the pH higher first and then add baking soda for the alkalinity? or do I use the washing soda to fix both?

4. I have not measured Ca because Ihave a vinyl above ground pool. I assumed i didn't care about it. Am I wrong?

I would love a guideline for the next 3-4 days so I can see if I can leave tomorrow or sat for a few days. I mostly have no idea how to maintain the chlorine - I go through about one puck a day and have no one to add puck while I am gone. Thanks! aciam

To go away for a few days, you'll need to let your chlorine drop to less than 5 ppm and then add a large treatment dose of polyquat. Once you are ready to leave, put your filter on "Circulate", not filter (polyquat comes out on the filter) and add 2x the regular TREATMENT (not maintenance) dose.

That will *probably* take care of it.

If you want to go a step further, you can take your borax level to 50 ppm borates, which will add a permanent algaestat to the water. To do this, buy 10 boxes of borax, and 3 gallons of muriatic acid. Add 8 full boxes of borax -- slowly in the skimmer, pump on, followed by 1 1/2 gallons of muriatic acid.

When adding the acid, wear glasses and gloves, and watch out for the fumes. Make sure the pump is on, and do NOT pour more than 1/2 gallon in a single spot. Submerge the jug partly into the pool so you can pour with the lip only a few inches from the pool surface.

Wait 2 hours, and then test pH. You'll probably need more acid. If the pH is above 7.8, add 1/2 gallon doses. If it's below, add 1/4 gallon doses. Adjust the pH to ~7.2

If you do the borax -- and it's probably a good idea -- add the polyquat AFTER you finish the borax. But, you can go ahead and do the borax while waiting for the chlorine to drop.

Lemme know how it goes.

WOW. I'm not sure I want to go away anymore. That procedure seems pretty intense. Is it just because the pool water is new or is that the procedure anytime I would need to leave? and what would I do about the trichlor pucks and cl level when I left? Do I really leave it on recirculate the whole time we are gone?

If we decide not to go, do I just continue the slow and steady course I am on? I am just not sure of my endpoint in terms of stability of the water. Baquacil was much more stable and required less day to day maintenance. Will I ever get there with chlorine? Am I supposed to be adding more polyquat because I haven't since the first dose in the new water last saturday.

Your pool is in the land of "PoolDoc & Chem_Geek & others don't know what's going on with it". Consequently, I'm being tentative.

That said, at summer time temps, pools do NOT do well with a week's inattention.

This is one of the major benefits of salt systems: if you get the water level and salt level up, and get everything running well before you leave, you can be pretty confident that the salt system feed will 'keep' it for a week.

There are other methods:
    + install a tablet feeder, like a Rainbow 320
    + run your CYA up to 100 ppm, and your chlorine up to 20 ppm
    + have someone check it every other day, and pour 5 - 10 ppm worth of bleach in.
    + clean the pool up thoroughly, and then drop chlorine levels and add an overdose of polyquat.
    + add a heavy dose of a copper algicide.

You could do any of those. They will probably work. But given your pool's recent history, I'm not as confident as I might be otherwise.

I don't really think adding the borax and polyquat is all that hard, however. You've had to do worse, in dealing with this pool, and adding the borax will leave you with a semi-permanent algae inhibitor.

Hi Ben -

so we decided not to go away for the weekend and thus will be able to pay attention to the pool. We didnt have enough time to get the materials we needed, follow the pH and be on the road ahead of traffic. We plan to go away for the weekend in about 2 weeks so that will give me enough time to plan on how to get the pool ready for us to leave. We may have a longer vacation planned in august that we will need to prepare for as well.

should I consider doing the borax/muriatic acid method before then (like next week) in preparation ( and add the polyquat before we actually leave) or will the pool be in a better position to leave in 2 weeks and maybe only need a maintenance dose of polyquat?

This mornings numbers look good: FC 5.5-6 CC 0.5 - 1 alk 70-80 pH 7.4 CYA 20-30 as my best guess

We swam yesterday for the first time - my husband first - with no ill effects; then my kids. everyone is fine this morning as well. no burning or red eyes.

1. do you want me adding weekly doses of maintenance polyquat?

2. what is the procedure for after swimming? do I just maintain my chlorine with the pucks or do I need to shock the pool? you have told me to stay away from liquid bleach so how do I do that ?

3. can you use a tablet feeder in an above ground pool or could I get something like a floater to hold extra pucks for times away from the pool?

4. let me know about whether I should do the borax/acid method even though we aren't going away ( are those amounts correct for a 10 thousand gallon AG pool? 8 boxes seems crazy high! I'll have to go to like 4 stores to find them!)

Thanks! aciam

#1 - No; not till you are ready to leave.
    #2 - Just use the pucks. Use bleach only if the chlorine gets below 2 ppm.
    #3 - Use a floater.
    #4 - The borax is pretty cheap and is a good way to make your pool more resistant to algae. 8 boxes is correct, but you don't have to add it all at once. If you shop at Walmart, there's a good chance you can get by with 2 trips.

Otherwise, your pool numbers look good.

+ Reply to Thread