+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with starting chlorine after drain/refill

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Need help with starting chlorine after drain/refill

+ Add the polyquat right away, and keep doing so at 1.5x maintenance doses. Get it in RIGHT AWAY; we don't want your pool to turn green, while the chlorine is low!!!!!!!!
    + Add the CYA
    + Run your trichlor tabs, and gradually increase them to gradually bring the chlorine level up, over a week's time.
    + Don't use bleach before then.
    + Use borax if the pH goes below 7.0

Ben

I understand. It is hard form me too because I don't always know what to do. I was hoping to still be able to ask the basic questions here through the forum if that's OK. And I figured you all worked together. The last time I had run into trouble you all sent me to him so I figured I would be proactive this time is all.

Like for example just now I tested : FC is up to 1.5 and CC down to 3.5 with no bleach smell for the first time since yesterday. My alkalinity is still 70 but my pH dropped to 6.8-7. ( probably from all the cya and puck this morning) I think I should add Borax? is that right? just can't figure out how much though. Is that OK to ask?

He didn't give me all the specific nitty gritty of how to proceed - like in terms of the poly and the FC dropping so that information is truly valuable for me. I hope I can still ask that here since I think you all are probably more available and more accustomed to answering those types of questions. thanks. aciam

Thanks Ben!

+3 lbs of CYA added at 830 am
    +1 trichlor tab put in skimmer at same time with improved readings at noon FC=1.5 CC =3.5 no bleach smell
    +I will add polyquat now in the dose of 4-6 oz? and then how often do you want me to keep doing so? please confirm both
    +pH at noon down to 6.8-7.0 - have Borax but not sure of dose - is there a reference or can you give dose to me?
    + will not add any more bleach just pucks to inc chlorine until you give me permission

Let me know your thoughts about the ladder whenever you have a chance. thanks. aciam.

Hi Ben - just a quick update.

Noon today - added 4 oz polyquat
    2pm added second trichlor puck to skimmer to maintain/inc FC after polyquat addition
    3pm added app 18 oz borax to skimmer due to pH of 6.8-7

8PM testing
    OTO TC =2 pH = 7.2
    DPD FC = 2 pH = 7.2

FAS-DPD FC = 2 CC=4 pH 7.2 alk 70

I am adding nothing at this time.

I will retest in am and add more borax if needed. Let me know what I should be shooting for in terms of FC levels so I can add pucks as needed. And when/if I should re dose polyquat. Thanks! aciam

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Looks like you are doing well, and just need to 'stay the course'.

Ben

Thanks Ben!

Here are this morning's number:

OTO TC=3 pH 7.2
    DPD FC=3 pH 7.2

FAS-DPD FC 3-3.5 CC 3.5 pH 7.2 alk 60-70

remainder of 2 pucks of trichlor in skimmer

I decided to add just a tiny bit more borax but nothing else. Let me know if I should be messing with the alkalinity at all. We are off to a family function. Will retest tonight.

Questions: What do you want me to be aiming for in terms of FC?
    Do you want me to redose polyquat once a week?
    Is there any threat to re introducing my pink algae ladder into the pool? or should I just invest in a new one?

Thank you. Have a good Sunday. aciam

Don't worry with anything except chlorine and pH, right now.

It looks good -- once you've got everything stable with those, and you

Hi Ben - looks like your last post got cut off so I missed your words of wisdom at the end! Please feel free to fill them in so I know what it is you were trying to tell me! the answers to all my questions and a plan for moving forward maybe? Still haven't done the swim test but plan on it soon.

Things continue to be stable.

8pm numbers
    OTO TC 2 pH 7.2
    DPD FC 2 pH 7.2

FAS DPD FC 2.5 ( down from 3-3.5 this morning) CC 3 pH 7.2 alk 60-70

I added a bit more borax and put 2 new trichlor pucks in skimmer for the night( had just the remnants of the last 2 left). Will recheck in morning and follow your advice in meantime! Thanks! aciam

Basically, I was just going to say, hang in there, it looks like all is going well.

Ben

Hi Ben - here are my numbers for today - I am happy with them:

6/27 10 am FAS-DPD FC 6.5 CC 3 pH 7.2 alk 60-70 added sm amt borax
    2pm FC 5 CC 2-2.5 pH 7.2 added sm amt borax
    7pm FC 5.5 CC 2 pH 7.2 added sm amt borax

I have a test strip to measure CYA and still not showing - don't want to waste reagent by testing for it until abt a week is that right?

Not sure why pH is not rising despite slow and steady additions of borax - is it all the acid dissolving from the CYA? and the trichlor pucks? or is it getting all stuck in the filter ( I'm adding it thru the skimmer - wondered if it is getting all tied up with the CYA in there?)

What is my plan now in terms of Cl levels now? where should I be keeping it? If we swim, what should I do in terms of treating the pool after, ie shocking it? thanks! aciam

+ Reply to Thread