+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about in-wall connection for Polaris

Default Question about in-wall connection for Polaris

I have a Polaris 380 pool cleaner and need to replace the in wall connection that the polaris line connects to. I am ordering the tool to remove the in wall piece but I believe that I need to remove a round plate that is held on by 4 screws to the wall. If I remove this plate, will it cause a leak where the screws go in or will I be OK? I reminds me of the rectangle plate that goes around the skimmer basket. Sorry for the dumb question.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Question about in-wall connection for Polaris

Welcome to the Forum!

The only dumb question is the one unasked

You don't need to remove the faceplate to get the Polaris fitting out. The fitting should just unthread, but you may need the tool to get a good enough grip to torque it out.

As a side note, if you did remove the 4 screws, you'd have a slight leak but that would stop as soon as you reinstall the faceplate - as long as the screw holes were still lined up
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

I bought the tool to remove the outlet from the pool side but when I tried to turn it, the two nubs that the polaris hose connects to broke off. I tried to use channel lock pliers but the outlet did not turn and it was digging into the outlet. I turned off the pump to take pressure off of the line but this did not help. The pool was installed in 2005 and I'm not sure what to do now. Any help?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

How handy are you with a hacksaw blade?

There's a trick for this, but you've got to be careful!

Cut through the male connection, JUST to the threads (you don't want to wreck the receiving threads) in 2 places~ 1/4" apart. Use a flathead screwdriver to gently knock that piece out and the rest will come out with the channel locks.

If you're unsure about any of this, PLEASE ask for details BEFORE you try it!!!!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

I was thinking of trying this. Do you think it would be best to take the water line below the pipe?

It might speed up the cutting, but I'd rater do it with the water up. (Why waste the water and chems?)

PLEASE be very careful, if you have to 'violate' the receiving threads, do it towards the back of them - the front threads have got to be kept in tact!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Just wanted to say thanks to Waste! I used the hacksaw blade and did just like you said. Everything went great and I'm back in operation.... Thanks again!

Thumbs up Re: Question about in-wall connection for Polaris

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks to Waste! I used the hacksaw blade and did just like you said. Everything went great and I'm back in operation.... Thanks again!
    That's why they pay me the big money here LOL.

I can't express how glad I am that I was able to help you and that you're now good to go!!

I truly hope this is the only problem you have with your pool! However, we always like to hear happy pooling stories, and would love to see pics of you and yours enjoying the pool
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by waste View Post
    That's why they pay me the big money here LOL.
    Say, what??? You're getting paid????

Ben keeps telling me my check is in the mail .... JK!

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Say, what??? You're getting paid????

Ben keeps telling me my check is in the mail .... JK!
    Well that explains why most of the checks I get have Lisa, Carl, Janet, or Al on them (however, I've got a 'good' relationship with the teller at my local bank, so she just cashes them for me )

Seriously, it's not about the 'almighty dollar', helping folks is just the right thing to do [my buisness policy is "I don't charge unless I have to physically be at the pool"- it won't make me rich, but I'llbe able to look myself in the eyes when I shave ]
    Luv & Luk, Ted

+ Reply to Thread