+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How much chlorine should my pool be using?

Default Re: How much chlorine should my pool be using?

Jun 25 morning, FC 8, pH 7.4
    Jun 25 evening, FC 7

Jun 26 morning, FC 6, pH 7.2, TA 110
    Jun 26 evening, FC 5+ (didn't bother to dilute), pH 7.2

Jun 27 evening, FC 5, pH 7.2; added 52oz 6% bleach for target FC 6
    Jun 28 evening, FC 5, pH 7.3/7.4; added 52oz 6% bleach for target FC 6

On Jun 29, I received my FAS/DPD test kit! Also new CYA reagent, but it hasn't been a full week since adding stabilized chlorine.

Jun 29 evening, FC 5.5, pH 7.6, CC maybe .5; added 2.5oz cal hypo for target FC 6/6.1

Jun 30 evening, FC 4.5, pH 7.4, TA 110; added 7oz cal hypo for target FC 6.1.

Since I've been uncertain about CYA, I made the decision for now to just try to keep FC between 5 and 6, since 5 is above the minimum on the the 60-90 range of the Best Guess chart.

What do you all think about these numbers? I guess the only thing I notice in looking over them is that FC dropped quickly again from Jun 29- Jun 30... but I'm thinking maybe the Pool Calculator's 2.5oz recommendation was a little low.

Thanks again for all the help.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Well, in the last week or so, I've been very busy and also had the pump motor quit midway through the holiday weekend, so my chlorine numbers have been irrelevant and jumped all over the board (I kept it high with liquid bleach during the few days where it wasn't circulating); but I tested my CYA just now, and I'm sticking to my guns - it's around 45 or so, about like it tested with my old reagent.

Have been doing my best to keep chlorine at 5 or above for a while now, but it looks like I can back that down to 3+ since I'm more confident CYA is at MY test results, and not the pool stores.

I noticed the Best Guess Chlorine Chart has blank areas - nothing between 20-30, 50-60, and 90-100... I assume those are just subjective gray areas?

Not sure whether to run CYA up higher or not - it sounds like the amount of sun I get would support higher CYA, but then when I shock people can't swim for a while. I'd hate to be the guy whose pool wasted a bunch of swimsuits in one day.
    25,000 gallon 18x36 liner in sun all day, new at all of this.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Stay with CYA of 45 for awhile and see how it goes. When you test in the evenings, add enough bleach to take the cl back up to around 6. See if you stay above 3 by the time you test the next evening. If you consistently find that you can't, take it up to 7. If that still doesn't keep you at a minimum of 3 by the next evening, then at that time, you can decide that you may want to bump the CYA up a little.

BTW -- High CYA/High Chlorine is no more damaging to swimsuits than Low CYA/Low Chlorine.

Actually the chart shows 10-20, 30-50, 60-90, 100-200

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Actually the chart shows 10-20, 30-50, 60-90, 100-200
    That's what I mean... say you have CYA 55, the chart doesn't have a recommendation for it... so I figured those were areas where you just have to see what happens with your specific pool, deciding whether to follow the higher or the lower recommendation.
    25,000 gallon 18x36 liner in sun all day, new at all of this.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

To be on the safe side, I just go to the higher category.

+ Reply to Thread