+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Valve is leaking while pump running on filter

Default Valve is leaking while pump running on filter

For our in-ground pool, we have water going out while the pump is running and the valve is in the filter position(goes out in the street like it is being backwashed but not as fast.) We have fixed this in the past by turning the valve around to the different positions (waste, backwash, rinse, etc) and back to filter until the water stops coming out. This method is not working this year. The valve & pool are about 9-10 yrs old. It is a Hayward Vari-Flo Valve Model 715. Any suggestions?

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Valve is leaking while pump running on filter

Welcome to the forum.
    Quite possibly the spider gasket has a bad section around the waste port. Or, it popped out of its channel in the valve housing and got deformed. These gaskets are glued into the channels but eventually can loosen. Seems to be a common problem. I'd open the valve and take a peek. Mark the valve position, put the handle in an intermediate position to relieve the spring force on the valve, then remove the 6 screws. Once you look inside you'll see the gasket and the problem may be obvious. For the time being I'd just run the waste line back to the pool if you can so you don't lose water. Some people on the forum don't believe they can be fixed successfully but I say bah...sure they can. I've done it. One thing you should never do is switch positions with the pump running. Thought I'd be a wise guy and learned the hard way.
    Hope this helps.
    Al

Default Re: Valve is leaking while pump running on filter

Thanks a bunch, Al. Will take a look at it when I get home. Posted that before I went out of town to work for a couple days. Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread