+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Summer cover for AG pool

Default Summer cover for AG pool

What type of AG pool cover is available that can keep out debris and dust, but not heat up the water? Placing the solid cover over the pool keeps debris out nicely, but heats the pool up to unbearable temperatures.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Summer cover for AG pool

Been hot there too?

I doubt that there's an AG pool cover like you want -- it's expensive to make a light colored cover that is truly UV resistant. And when you consider that, on average, folks covering their pool temporarily want it warmer not colder, the demand probably wouldn't support the effort. Of course that's only a guess.

But, it's a fact that I've never seen a cover like you want.

It's been in the upper 90's for a while now. The water temp in my 15'x42" agp has been up to 94 deg in dry periods, but is now about 85 due to semi-frequent rains. I was thinking there may be a leaf net or something that may keep debris and dust out, but allow the water to stay cool. I'm thinking of keeping my eye out for large trampoline that could be used to make such a cover. I tried last year to use the cover that came with my intex metal frame pool, but the temperature got real hot, real quick. Like you said, those covers are intended for winter use.
    Thanks of the reply. I like the forum.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Here's a thought. If you can get one of those portable tarp garages and place it so it will shade your pool, that will well.

There are some cooling methods, that involve aeration or night time sprays, or reverse use of solar heating units (running them at night, when temps are below pool temps) but you have to be a tinkerer. In any case, they aren't really practical with an Intex.

The shade will work, however.

Another method -- but you can NOT, must NOT, use it when swimmers are in the pool! -- is to set up a sump pump with a 3/4 PVC riser to spray water up out of the pool and let it fall back. Actually, you can probably work pretty well with a 10' piece of pipe, and appropriate adapters on the submerged end. Generally, turbulence in the outflow from the straight cut PVC pipe will generate a large drop type spray that will all land back into your pool. Running this at NIGHT, when air temps are below pool temps will produce some cooling. A decent pump (that won't leak oil into the pool!!) plus extension cords (full size) plus a GFCI safety unit will set you back $150 - 200. And, you probably need a 10 degree differential between water temps and air temps to do much good.

But do NOT leave that pump in an occupied pool. And do not run it during the day; you could kill somebody! Plus, you'll lose a lot of water to evaporation and possibly also heat your pool!

Even at night, how you use it depends on your location and local night time temps. If humidity is low at night (Arizona, etc.), you will lose of water to evaporation. Around here, with night time humidity at 75% or more, you won't lose much, if you set it on a time to run between 2am and 6am. Again, be careful. If the thing flops over, you could come out to a drained pool with a burned out pump and an oily puddle in your pool. Not good!

Thanks for the ideas. I may try to find something made for the pool that can spray water up at night to possibly cool the water. I normally loose a good bit of water during the day due to evaporation, so I normally place a small sprinkler on the pool ladder to help cool things off while we're swimming, which also slowly refills the pool.
    Intex 15'x42"
    Intex SWG
    Since 2010

+ Reply to Thread