+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Newbie...been reading..need specific advice

Red face Newbie...been reading..need specific advice

I have been reading the site for several days, to fast become knowledgable about AG pools. We are installing a 30ft, this week and I have become scared of this whole chemical process....so without further delay:

1. Baquicil or Chlorine....leaning chlorine
    2. Test kit I need for this pool? Why?
    3. Should I be scared? All the terms, and headaches I read about.....reminds me of chemistry in college....I wasnt the best student....
    4. Misc items I may need?

I want to send a whole hearted "Thank You" in advance for your time and efforts in helping my family enjoy a pool....

Charles

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Newbie...been reading..need specific advice

Hello, and welcome to the forum!!

Congratulations on the impending new pool, and especially for doing your homework ahead of time so that you can start it up without any problem and enjoy it!!

So, with no further delay..

1. Chlorine, definitely. You will find Bacquacil very expensive in comparison, and when you factor in that it is not a virucide, and doesn't get all bacteria, chlorine is the only way that makes sense. If you don't believe, me, go to the Bacquacil part of the forum (may have to log out to do so, for now) and read through the threads of the people that came here for help with conversion back to chlorine. Save yourself the money, time, and headaches. Chlorine.

2. We recommend the K-2006 or K-2006C kit (same kit, the C version has larger reagent sizes) that can be ordered through the Amazon link in my sig. If you order it through the link, the PF gets a donation from the sale. Make sure that Amato Industries is listed as the seller, though, because some of the other sellers are subsituting a K-2005, which you don't want because it can't measure high levels of chlorine. The K-2006 kit will measure anything you need measured, with the exception of metals. You can depend solely on your own testing and not be at the mercy of the pool store and whatever information, misguided or not, they'll try to sell you. (You can look up "pool-stored" in the Google link in my sig and get an idea of what I mean )
    3. NO reason to be scared. It seems very overwhelming when you first learn about pool care, but you'll be surprised how simple it really is, once you understand what you're doing. And we'll be glad to help facilitate that process for you in any way that we can.

4. You'll need bleach, stabilizer, and we can tell you what else, if you'll get your test kit, run a set of tests--except for CYA, save the reagent--on your fill water and post them here.

Here's a biggie--what source of water are you using to fill from? If it's from a well, do some serious consideration about filling from a different source that doesn't contain metals--you can read through a few threads in the "metals" forum to understand why. If you're filling with city water, then you should be in good shape. Just test your fill water and report back here with your results.

You're gonna love having a pool.....
    Janet

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Another welcome from me, too and another vote for chlorine!! Many people think they are doing fine with Baquacil for the first few years and then end up with water mold that they can't get rid of after awhile. We've seen it happen over and over again, and like Jan said above, we then help walk them through the process of converting back to chlorine. We have NEVER had anyone come back and say, "I wish I stayed with Baquagoop (as we call it around here) but many who have said, "I am so glad I converted." Do yourself a big favor and start out with chlorine right from the get-go.

Glad you joined us and hope you enjoy the forum!

I am going to go chlorine, the guy who I bought the pool from and did our install, put the first round f chemicals. I really like the "BBB" method, b/c I can get it wholesale and cheaper. I will be ordering a test kit you recommended ASAP....Again, I appreciate all your insight and helpful answers.....and so does my girls!

All my best,
    Charles

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Hi Charles,
    You won't be sorry if you go the BBB route. Your pool maintenance will be easy if you follow these methods. Also, ordering the kit will be a key piece of making things easy. Let us know how things are going for you!

Things are going well...test kit should be in tommorow. Took pool water to pool store, said it all looked good, with 0 CL and 0 TC....CYA were dead on....I came home added 1.5 gal of 6% bleach to get the levels up...I have a 18,500 Gallon AG pool.....How much should I put in? This Texas heat is HOT, HOT, HOT! Thanks in advance!

Charles

Hi Charles,
    If your pool store said all your levels looked good when you had O Cl and 0 TC, then I'd be finding a new pool store! A pool with no chlorine is an open invitation to an algae nightmare! We can't suggest an appropriate dose of bleach without knowing your CYA level. When you get that new kit today, run a full set of numbers and post them and then we can better advise you. You're gonna love that kit!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

In your size pool, each 2.5 quarts of 6% bleach will raise your FC by 2 ppm. As Watermom said, once you run a set of numbers, especially CYA, we can help you figure out how much chlorine you need to put in the pool. Do you know what chems the pool company put in the pool?

Janet
    Janet

CYA was at 40 yesterday afternoon....On Monday, a full 5 days ago it was at 60......

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

The difference between 40 and 60 ppm is within the testing error of most CYA tests, although strip tests aren't that accurate.

+ Reply to Thread