+ Reply to Thread

Thread: iron in water (Intex pool)

Default iron in water (Intex pool)

Well we have iron in our well water. I have an intex ultra 16x48 pool, new this year. I have used quite a few tricks here from this site which have helped a little. Bought Metal Free didn't work that well. Our water is clear but looks green. So my husband thinks the saltwater intex unit is the way to go, I don't so I need some feed back. Would just buying a new sand filter system help our iron problem. Thanks so much for everyones help

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: iron in water (Intex pool)

Hi, I wouldn't invest in a salt system yet. Can you post your numbers? A sand filter would be better however I would try the pink stuff by jacks magic, or proteams team magic first. Make sure your ph is no higher than 7.2, and your chlorine is not higher than what it needs to be for your cya. You can also check to see if it is that the liner is stained yellow from the metals, because yellowing of the liner along with the blue water can make the water appear yellow.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

We bought a sand filter for our 18' Intex pool and it has done wonders for our pool water. We have 80ppm iron in our water, when we filled our pool it was so brown that you couldn't see 6 inches down. We let our sand filter do it's job with a little help from us with brushing the floor and sides of the pool to keep the iron floating in the water....48 hours later we have a clear pool. We went with a 3/4 HP Sand Filter System made by G.A.M.E. It was $300 but it was the best money we've spent Good luck!

Kristen,

The sand filter that you bought... do you know if you could use this on a bigger pool? Right now we have a 15' Intex pool. We would like to upgrade to a bigger oval pool in the summer 2013. However, I'd like to really get a handle on stuff with the smaller pool next summer (2012). Let me know if the sand filter you bought would work on a bigger pool. Thanks!

Becca

Becca - It says it's for pools up to 20,000 gallons.
    http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-28...ter/Detail.bok

I didn't buy it from that website but that gives you the information in it.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply, Kristin!

+ Reply to Thread