+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Salt Water Pool Water Smells Like Must

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Salt Water Pool Water Smells Like Must

Sean,
    I saw your post. My point is that the CYA is most likely higher than 110 ppm and that, even with the FC at 14 ppm there is still CC. Therefore, the CC could very well be happening because the pool is overstabiliized for the FC level. The other possibility, as you mentioned, is that the high FC level is forming disinfection byproducts by reacting with proteins in the skin and that is what is being smelled. Showering will not remove them. You can recreate this effect by dipping your hand in bleach for a few seconds and then trying to wash off the chloramine smell. (although if the FC is at the proper lever for the CYA then most of the chlorine would be in the form of chlorinated cyanurates and would not be available to form disinfection byproducts).
    And the plus side to being retired from the industry is that I finally have the time to care for my own pool! Although, if there was an opening with Team Horner I might consider going back into the industry I DO love my AquaCal!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK View Post
    Well yah, especially in NJ where the "beach" can smell like just about anything
    All those comedians out of work and you're cracking wise? No wonder the state troopers WATCH for PA plates!

Actually, from TV you'd think our beaches were infested with Snooki, whatever that is, and the rest of the state with The Sopranos.

The South shore beaches, near Delaware are much nicer than the Northern ones. However, I haven't been the JERSEY shore in years. In fact, I haven't been on an Atlantic beach north of Florida in years--and the beaches down there smell of brine, too.

Carl
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post

Actually, from TV you'd think our beaches were infested with Snooki, whatever that is, and the rest of the state with The Sopranos.

Carl
    Nah, the Sopranos are just in Short Hills! (Glad that is no longer part of my hometown Millburn!)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    Nah, the Sopranos are just in Short Hills! (Glad that is no longer part of my hometown Millburn!)
    Actually the Sopranos are supposedly based on the family of Richie "The Boot" Boiardo, here in Livingston. The Boiardo "Stone Lions Gate" is right around the corner from me. His grandchildren went "legit" many years ago and one is a respected orthopedic surgeon. Short Hills and Millburn are not far from here.
    Carl

Well it looks like this post has created some input - some on the subject some not. I have been deluting my water and I currently have my chlorine down to 5. My ph is 7.2 as I am in the process of trying to get the alk down below 100. My method of measuring the cya is Ben's old kit of which you look down at the dot and wait for it to disappear. I have found that this method usually reads high (wrong or right) compared to the pool store measurements. I just got out of the water (cold 78) and the smell I have tried to explain is not the water - it is the musty smell of our skin when we get out. It's hard to explain but everyones skin smells like sweat/must. The water itself smells great and is severe clear. I will continue to get my numbers correct and will keep you posted of the results. I am surprised that more people have not had this problem.

Thanks for all your input!

Devon

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by desherer View Post
    Well it looks like this post has created some input - some on the subject some not.
    That's kind of the way our forum works sometimes. Some silliness and playing mixed in with lots of help and sound advice. Sorry if it bothered you, but it doesn't mean we aren't trying to help. Just having a little fun along the way!

Quote Originally Posted by desherer View Post
    My method of measuring the cya is Ben's old kit of which you look down at the dot and wait for it to disappear. I have found that this method usually reads high (wrong or right) compared to the pool store measurements.
    The disappearing dot test is the only CYA test that we trust. So, your reading is more accurate than a pool store's reading if they aren't using this method.

Hope somebody can help you figure out your issue with this musty smell.

No Problems Watermom. I enjoy the fun. Guess I need to get my CYA down too.

Thanks for your input!

Devon

Carl, an Orthopedic Surgon? Must be from all the practice from "Louie says you owe him money. Pay up or I'll break your thumbs".
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Poolsean View Post
    Carl, an Orthopedic Surgon? Must be from all the practice from "Louie says you owe him money. Pay up or I'll break your thumbs".
    Makes a better story but, no, Dr. Boiardo is a legitimate orthopedic and sports surgeon. For a while he was the surgeon to the Newark Bears minor league baseball team--pretty popular around here. (Minor league games are a blast--far more fun than pro games.)

Carl
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread