+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Salt Water Pool Water Smells Like Must

Smile Salt Water Pool Water Smells Like Must

I have been a long supporter of Pool Solutions and Salt Water Generators. However over the past 3 years I have noticed that when you get out - your skin smells like must / bad odor. My wife wants to take a shower when she gets out. I have increased my chlorine and have even replaced all of the water three years ago with a new liner. This year I dumped 5,000 gallons and replaced with new water. Still have the smell. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem or if they know of a fix. Following please find my measurements that I took tonight with the PS232 Kit. 6/20/11

15,000 gallon Vinyl Pool Zodiac Salt Water Generator Located in Indianapolis IN

FC 14
    CC .5
    PH 7.7
    ALK 170
    CYA 110
    Calcium 180
    Water Temp 78
    Salt 4,000 PPM
    Water is Clear

Appreciate any input!!

Thanks,

Devon

Default Re: Salt Water Pool Water Smells Like Must

A "smell or odor" is pretty subjective.
    However, why are you keeping your chlorine level so high? Your water chems seem to out of balance too. TA is high (should be down between 80 - 120 ppm, with my preference at 80 - 100 ppm). Cya is much higher than even allowable by commercial pool standards. This should be down around 60 - 80 ppm. Calcium Hardness may not factor too much into this as you have a vinyl liner pool, but you should still maintain balanced water conditions (according to the saturation index).

The smell may be resulting from the FC at 14 ppm having some bleaching effects on clothing or your liner...just a guess.

Dilution is the solution to getting the cya, ta, and FC levels down quickly...and would be my first step.

FWIW, I have a Pool Pilot on my pool, without any of the smells you're describing. I do maintain about 75 ppm cya, at 2 ppm. TA is frequently below 100 ppm, and Calcium hardness is around 350 ppm. pH kept at 7.4
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

Sean,

Thanks for your input. I will dilute and see what happens. I have always had problems getting my TA down. Do you know of any tricks.

Thanks,

Devon

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Almost sounds like you are smelling brine, like at the ocean. I find brine kind of musty smelling, but at the ocean you don't think about it...It's the BEACH!!!!
    Is the salt level at the high end for your SWCG?

Carl
    Carl

Well yah, especially in NJ where the "beach" can smell like just about anything
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK View Post
    Well yah, especially in NJ where the "beach" can smell like just about anything
    WOW! That sure sounds appealing! Anna, I'm guessing you don't work at the department of tourism for NJ!

No ma'm, I don't, but I have written them a letter or two about the interesting variety of items and their associated aromas found on NJ beaches. Because this is a polite and civilized family-oriented forum I won't enumerate. A musty smell is the very least of it.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

am I the only one that noticed a FC of 14 ppm and a CC of .5 ppm? I question the 110 CYA reading. How was this obtained? The CYA test only goes oup to 100 ppm and above that it's not very precise. There is a good possibility that the CYA is actually MUCH higher than this and the smell is because of something growing in the water.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Evan, you've been retired TOOO Long. Post #2...I noticed it. = )
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

+ Reply to Thread