+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is an In-Floor Cleaning System worth the $

Default Is an In-Floor Cleaning System worth the $

I live in the DFW area and I'm wondering if others in the area find that an in-floor cleaning system is worth the additional $. In a previous pool I had in San Antonio, the robot cleaner seemed to work well but I'm building a new pool in Dallas and would like an in-floor cleaner if it really works here with all the wind/dust.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Is an In-Floor Cleaning System worth the $

Welcome to the Forum!

Some people swear by them but most swear at them. However, the problem most folks have is probably caused by not 'syncing' the heads so that they all start out pointing the same direction on each set and not matching the circulation of the surface water to the direction that the heads turn.

I'd rather use that money to get a good robotic cleaner and a SWCG.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by waste View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!

I'd rather use that money to get a good robotic cleaner and a SWCG.
    +1 to that!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Waterbear's signature says: "Moderator at a different poolspaforum but call this place "home".

That's nice, Evan. You're right. This is home and you are a part of our little family and have been for quite a while! We appreciate your help as always!

(Is this a new sig line for you or am I just that unobservant and it has been there forever??)

Well, for what it's worth, I'm on my fifth year since new, I got in-floor popups and wouldn't be without them. It's been nearly maintenance free all along, and it works great. One thing I do to maintain it is every time I clean out the pump baskets, I pop the lid off the distribution manifold and clean the little bit of grit that builds up, there are lots of plastic gears in there and if I didn't do that it would probably have worn out before now. Other than that I absolutely love the system.
    10,000 in ground, concrete w/PebbleTec surface, waterfall
    420 sq. ft. cartridge Pentair filter, In-floor popup cleaning system, 2-1 hp pumps (1 for popup system)

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Waterbear's signature says: "Moderator at a different poolspaforum but call this place "home".

That's nice, Evan. You're right. This is home and you are a part of our little family and have been for quite a while! We appreciate your help as always!

(Is this a new sig line for you or am I just that unobservant and it has been there forever??)
    It's been there for close to a year now since I was asked to mod over there (and spend just about all my time there deleting spam!) It's a good forum but is more active in the hot tub sections than the pool sections. So far I have been asked to mod at 3 different swimming pool forums and have modded at two. How did I get so popular?
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    It's been there for close to a year now
    WOW. Unobservant doesn't really cover it, does it? (Maybe we'll blame it on chemo-brain. I'm certainly not gonna claim it could be from old age since I am only .... uhhh ...29!)

hello,
    just joined pool forum and you're my first reply to a thread.
    i live in florida and have an in ground cleaning system by a&a manufacturing with gamma 3 pop up heads, these heads are adjustable in size to control pressure. the system is 5 years old and works great.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Welcome joe1028!

Like I said, some have ones that work, and others don't. I'm glad! that yours does as it's supposed to!

Unfortunately, a LOT of folks don't have your good experience

(note - there is a LOT of extra piping involved in one of these and that can cause additional problems - the pipes are buried and not readily accessible if one breaks- folks who don't have 'deep freeze' winters are more likely to have less problems than those in that have a deeper frost line)

FWIW- I was 'certified on the "Caretaker 99" systems in '91
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

steveinaz is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher steveinaz 2 stars steveinaz 2 stars

In have in-floor jets. They work well, but still have a few "dead spots." It won't end a need to vacuum weekly, but there isn't much to vacuum. My system is real easy to maintain and seems durable, but with hindsight I probably wouldn't do it again just due to the additional costs, and it's more plumbing runs to worry about. The heads are very simple to disassemble w/o tools, and it doesn't appear that anything can wear out on them. Having said that, I do like the way it circulates the warm top water thru the bottom--so would be a good system to have if you heat your pool. We have no deep water "cold spots" thanks to the ground up circulation.

Also keep in mind, I'm not a "bells & whistles" kinda guy--I like things simple and durable.

VERDICT?

Heated pool: Sure, as long as the extra expense is worth it to you (Mine was $2500)
    Non-heated: Spend the money elsewhere
    Last edited by steveinaz; 07-02-2011 at 12:46 PM.

+ Reply to Thread