+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool Heaters?

cnk is offline ** No working email address ** cnk 0

Default Pool Heaters?

Could someone give me some information on good pool heaters? We don't really plan to keep the pool heated year round. Our IG pool is in the shade and never gets up to a comfortable swimming level. I'd like to run the heater enough to get it up to a decent temp. Also how much $ should I plan on for running it?

My 2 cents, since pool was built 10 months ago we've had a Pentair Minimax HTR 400 NT TSI NH.

It's been a pain, 1/2 the time whenever went to use it to heat spa this winter it didn't work with E04 error message on LED screen. Builder fixed it 3 times so far and has 3 year extended warranty . . . still . . . .

PS: We never heat pool as live in south Texas so get enough heat and frankly it's way to big a heater for a spa.

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

What part of the country do you live in? Do you have a spa?

We live in Oklahoma. We have summertime temps in the 90s, so I don't want to run it then. Just get it up to a decent temp. We can go all summer and it stays cold. It's a fiberglass pool. Maybe the insulation around it keeps the water cold and it only gets a couple hours of sun. We do not have a spa.

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

I would recommend a heat pump before a gas heater. I have had a heat pump heating my pool for the past 5 years and it has worked flawlessly. It will cost more initially than a natural gas or propane heater but over time you will recover that costs. Only downside is that when the weather is cool the heat pump takes much longer to heat the pool. We usually wait for a warm few days forcast by the weatherman and start heating the pool during the warmest part of the daytime (Usually 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM. Once the pool has heated up (It may take a few days) it's easy to keep it at the desired temperature. I don't spend more than $150 average for electric (main filter pump, cleaner booster pump, heater) during the summer. I keep the pool covered with a solar cover until the kids are home during the summer, then it's off unless we get some unseasonably cold weather.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Even if the pool is shaded, you can use solar heat if the panels are placed in the sun, like on a roof. Since you only have summer use (like me) the solar heating is VERY effective. Flexible PVC (TigerFlex) and regular PVC is VERY easy to run.
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

I would also say a heat pump is the way to go if you want to minimize your costs over the years. I have an AquaCal Icebreaker which will heat in freezing temperatures (not that we get many here in N. FL) but it has allowed me to use my pool and spa all winter. Solar might also be an option if you just want to heat the pool during the summer swim season. Once you do heat the pool a solar cover will make a big difference in keeping the water warm when the pool is not in use.

Are there any differences in the solar systems. Is there one that is better than the other or are they all basically the same?

kaybinster Guest

I also have a heat pump on my pool in NJ and it works great. They make models that will reverse and actually cool the pool for you as well if you live in a hot southern area where it gets too hot during the summer.

+ Reply to Thread