+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pink "Algae'

Default Pink "Algae'

What variations should be made for vinyl-lined pools? The description of applying shock followed by other chemicals directly to the pink bloom, and leaving the filter off for 8+ hours will destroy my new vinyl liner, won't it?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Pink "Algae'

It sounds like you are getting your advice from other sources than PoolForum. We NEVER recommend turning off your filter while fighting algae. You are wise to be suspicious!

You will find that really the only chemical you need to fight algae is chlorine, best delivered in liquid form as bleach or "Liquid Chlorine", which is either just bleach when it's 6% or just a higher concentration when it's 12.5%.

We'll need a full set of test measurements to be able to give you detailed recommendations. In the meantime, do NOT, I repeat DO NOT add anything other than chlorine to your pool. No algaecides, no clarifiers, no flocculants, no phosphate removers, nothing, or you will just make the problem worse. Meanwhile you'll need to run your pump 24/7, brush your pool everyday to knock the algae loose from the walls and floor, and vacuum everyday to waste if you see debris on the bottom.

Here's what we need to know:
    Your pool size, preferably in gallons.
    What kind of pump and filter you use.
    A recent a set of the following tests. If your pool store is doing the testing, don't buy anything just yet, just get the results. We'll want to see:
    FC (Free Chlorine)
    CC (Combined Chloramines)
    TC (Total Chlorine--which ALWAYS is: TC = FC + CC)
    pH
    CYA (Cyanuric Acid, also called Stabilizer, Conditioner, Balancer...very important as it changes our chlorine level suggestions)
    TA (Total Alkalinity)
    CH (Calcium Hardness)
    Any metal tests, particularly iron and copper. If they don't run them, that's OK.

Also, have you added anything other than chlorine, and if so, what? As I said above, pretty much everything they give you to add will be useless at best, and destructive at worst.
    Do NOT add either calcium or baking soda with the idea either will help your situation.

Here's what we will most likely have you do:
    1) Adjust pH if needed.
    2) Kill the algae with lots and lots and lots of chlorine, over several days maybe longer depending on the situation.
    3) Run the pump, brush and vacuum.
    4) Add LOTS of P.O.P.P., which is Pool Owner Patience and Persistence!

It's pretty simple and in direct contradiction to what pool stores and pool services recommend. All we have to support our methods are the thousands of pool owners now running clean, sanitary pools whom nobody else could help.
    (actually, there are a couple of other forums advocating our methods, particularly our "signature" B-B-B method).

Meantime, to help understand the best and simplest methods, check out our sister site, PoolSolutions.com. In about an hour you'll have gotten pretty much all you need to know to clean up your pool effectively, simply, safely and cheaply.

Additionally, you should have your own high-quality test kit. We recommend the Taylor K-2006 and K-2006C kits, and, no, we have NO connection to Taylor. If you use the links on our founder's sig, PoolDoc, or the other moderators, Watermom, or aylad, it will send you to Amazon. If the dealer is Amato, it sends a small amount to the forum to help keep it running.

Carl
    Carl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Carl has given you good advice. I just wanted to pop in here on your thread to say hello and welcome to the Pool forum!

By the way, the Amazon link that Carl referred to can be found in my signature below. Don't buy unless the seller is Amato Industries. Some other sellers are shipping the K-2005 kit instead which you do NOT want. Sometimes, today being one of them, Amato is not listed as the seller on the K-2006 kit. I have seen this happen 3 or 4 other times this season. I assume it means they are temporarily sold out --- probably from us sending them so much business from our Pool forum members! But, when I check back in a day or so, Amato is always back up as the seller so they must be restocking pretty quick. So, maybe wait a day or so and then check the link again.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

If you need it ASAP and cannot wait, you can order directly from Taylortechnologies.com

Carl
    Carl

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Or from spspoolspas.com, which has a more competitive price.

Janet

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Welcome to the Forum, Darice!

Listen to our mods, they're great and won't give advice that they don't know to be true!

I believe your "pink algae" is a water mold (we have it here in the northeast - or , at least Connecticut and Maine). It can look anywhere from white to purple, pink being in between them. This stuff is persistent so, take a look at the Best Guess Chart in Watermom's signature and keep your chlorine level close to the max and NEVER!, let it drop below the min. (treat your pool as if you had black algae).

Try to brush the pool a couple times a week, especially the stairs, top 1/2 of the walls, around the light, MD, returns and the skimmer mouth (& inside the skimmer). {edit} also the under side of the ladder treads{/edit}

I don't know if adding borites to the pool would help keep it at bay, but Waterbear or chem_geek might.

We'll help you tame this beast but you've got to do as we advise.
    Last edited by waste; 06-20-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: incomplete list
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread