+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for AG Advice - Researching Intex pool purchase

Red face Looking for AG Advice - Researching Intex pool purchase

Hi there! I've been stalking - ahem, reading - your forum for a bit now, but haven't quite found the answer to my query. We are looking at purchasing a less expensive AG, either an Intex Donut or metal frame. Max size will probably be 18 by 48, but I'm leaning more toward the 15 by 42, as we have little ones. Does anyone have opinions about which one is more favorable? I'm personally more into the donut, but I'm also concerned about Mr. Monkey (the 3 year old) scrambling over the side and flooding the yard.

Also, what size filter and/ or pump would you recommend, since the general consensus is that the included ones are rubbish? The 15 by 42 had a 1500 gallon pump, but aside from "bigger is better," I'm not sure what else I should look for. We're only looking to keep it for 2-3 years and plan on taking it down in the fall, if this makes a difference.

Thanks!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-17-2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: adjust title

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Looking for AG Advice - Researching before purchase

Please be really careful about assuming that any depth of water is safe for a young child.

When my oldest son (the one in this thread) was about 3, we nearly watched him drown right in front of us. We were sitting on the steps of a large (240,000 gallon) customer pool talking with no one but us around. My son was right in front of us, and stepped off the steps into deeper water. He could swim just well enough to get himself turned around, but his nose was still under water. It's been over 20 years, but neither of us can forget seeing those HUGE eyes. Obviously, he'd be the one rescuing us, now.

But the ONLY way to keep small children safe is by watching them attentively.

Default Re: Looking for AG Advice - Researching Intex pool purchase

Since our 3 year old has autism and is prone to wandering (in conjunction with being mostly non-verbal), leaving him alone whether in the house or in the yard isn't an option. We're pretty much stuck to him like glue. But I do appreciate your concern. If you have any input on pools or pumps, it'd be appreciated as well.

+ Reply to Thread