+ Reply to Thread

Thread: do I need to raise the Total Alkalinity

Default do I need to raise the Total Alkalinity

some basic background info:

about 1 1/2 weeks ago we just had the plaster redone. The pool is about 20-23K gallons as best as I can figure. I just have a "basic 4 test" test kit from home depot, (After reading some other things on the forum I realize this may be the problem, but for now let's assume that it isn't - for educational purposes anyway).
    I've been testing the water about every other day. Trying to make small changes at a time.
    The Ph is always reading high always above 8 and the acid demand is usually about 1-2 quarts. Lower now than at the begining.
    The Total Alk. has been reading between 50 and 70.
    Chlorine has been going down to be stable from 3 to about 1.5 and goes to about 2 after it sits for a minute or so. (we filled it from the tap which aparently has a 3ppm cl level).
    Over the past week I added just under 1 gallon of acid, and but when the TA seemed so low I've also added baking soda intermitently. 1 1/2 cups the first time then 1 1/2 again, and the last time 2 cups. Now the TA is up to 70.

I guess the main question is do I really need to keep trying to get it up first or do I need to get the total ph down first? I've been told that all the plaster dust is causing the ph to be high, and that I should just add more acid. But it seems that from things on this site, maybe I need to get the TA set first then worry about the acid and ph.
    I can't seem to find anything that list problems where TA is too low, the other ones I read were the opposite.

Any help or comments other than that I need a new test kit would be appreciated. (I probably do need a better one but for now I hope to work with what I have. at least it's a a way to measure the standard and guage the change I hope.)

thanks,
    mb

Default Re: do I need to raise the Total Alkalinity

Well I just re-read the last post, maybe I was a little confusing, or maybe it came across as being rude, either way that wasn't what I meant.... so if you were confused or offended, I appologize.

Anyway the basic question is what is more important to do first, get the ph down to a regular level (high 7 ish), or get the total alk up to above 80?

After thinking about it, it seems that it would be best to do the ph first since the TA is how resistant it is to change.

The second question is that assuming that I get the ph in check, how do you raise the TA while keeping the ph in a normal range?

I read somewhere here that it depends on how you add the acid (like if it is spread out verses all in one spot) to which one you adjust. I can't seem to find that thread again.

any helpful comments would be appreciated.

MB

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread