+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Liner...Do it yourself job?

Default New Liner...Do it yourself job?

Our 27ft AG is in need of a new liner. Is this something I could try to tackle myself or is it best left up to the pros?

What is a reasonable price to expect to pay to have the liner put in?
    27ft. Round AG Pool

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Liner

My neighbour spent around 300 canadian for a 24' liner last year, you can spend up to twice as much depending on thickness, whether or not it's an overlap or Jmold, etc.
    It's a relatively easy job.

IMherDad is offline ** No working email address ** IMherDad 0

Default your liner

I would look closely at the J-hook liners. Most of them are 25ga and look a lot better than the strech liner. They seem like they would be a lot easier to put up as well.

Default J hook

Yes, the J hook is the nicest of the bunch, but if your pool had an overlap liner, chances are that's what you have to stick with due to the construction of the pool, the channel that clips over the overlap won't fit over the extra thickness that you have on the J hook and this can cause problems with the liner staying in place.

ClearlyBlue Guest

Smile Replacing Aboveground Pool liners!

Two springs ago I replaced my 24 ft. a/g pool liner. I got on line with In the Swim(no affliation) in Febuary and they were having a great sale on pool liners. I got the thicker gauge liner for the thinner gauge price. They also shipped it to me from Canada in three days! This huge box sat in my living room for a couple of months.
    In April I emptied my pool and removed my old liner. Some friends of mine came over and we began to disassemble the railings of the pool. There were four of us. I suggest you use at the least four friends and make sure one of you know how to assemble and take down an aboveground pool. We started at 12 noon and finished at 5:30 right when the pool water truck pulled up to deliver my first truck load of pool water. All in all I saved 5 to 6 hundred dollars by doing it my self with the help of some friends. I was quoted a price of 800.00 from a pool dealer if they replaced my liner. You can do it your self! Just becareful and know what your doing! My pool looks like its brand new!
    ClearlyBlue

Default liner install...

That time frame sounds about right, and yes, you can always make use of many hands, the people you line up to help don't need knowledge, just to be able to hold something in place for some time.
    My neighbour and i utilized his kids as those extra hands.

We were quoted about$800 to have it done. That includes the thickest liner available.

I am assuming ours is the overlap style since there is extra hanging below the railing all the way around the pool.

Are there any sites with instructions on how to do this?
    27ft. Round AG Pool

We bought a used Doughboy pool on eBay about 5 years ago ($1 - yep one dollar!!) and installed it ourselves. I *think* the new liner came with instructions, or we picked up a pool installation guide from a local pool shop. Whichever it was, the process we followed is pretty much described word-for-word here:

http://www.arthurspools.com/liner/step1.htm

We were a bit hasty and ended up with some wrinkles in the bottom, but that didn't bother us too much. We've had three holes in 5 years - one above the water line from not adjusting the liner properly during the initial fill, one where the floor stretched down where the ground collapsed into a crawdad hole, and lastly when a blade of grass grew up through the liner...

+ Reply to Thread