+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best vacuum cleaner for vinyl inground pool?

Default Best vacuum cleaner for vinyl inground pool?

I currently use a Baracuda G3 for my vinyl-lined pool in Florida but have been told by a pool tech that it would be better to switch to the new Zodiac MX8 cleaner because the G3 damages the liner and removes the pattern from it. I don't want to spend the money for an MX8 if I don't have to, so I am seeking opinions from members of the Pool Forum.

Thanks,

T. Roberts

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Best vacuum cleaner for vinyl inground pool?

And let me guess...he sells Zodiac but not Baracuda? I detest salesmen like that. What you own is junk, what they sell is golden. Don't they know that insulting the customer is a VERY bad way to start out? Back in the old days of stereo stores, before the Internet, Circuit City and Best Buy killed them, the lousy audio dealers did the same thing. "Oh, you have Advent speakers? Well those are junk. Just wait till you hear the new Cerwin-Vegas! They are SO much better than your Advents! Oh, and you have a Dynaco amplifier? That is such junk! We have the new JVC receivers and they are SO much better!"----how to make sure you never sell anything to CarlD!

Does your vacuum work? Are you happy with it? Do you see any wear on your liner from it? If the answers are "Yes", "Yes" and "No", then you have your answer!

Good luck!

Carl
    Carl

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Best vacuum cleaner for vinyl inground pool?

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    And let me guess...he sells Zodiac but not Baracuda?
    Carl
    Ahem, Carl, The Baracuda is Zodaic's line of suction side cleaners. The full name of the cleaner in question is the Baracuda MX8 and it is basically a copy of the Polaris ATV suction side cleaner (Polaris is also owned by Zodiac) that is wheel driven and has tread on the wheels for traction. The G3 is a disc type cleaner. Both types of cleaners can cause wear to vinyl liners over time, as can just vacuuming it with a manual vacuum. If your G3 is working there is really no reason to replace it. The G3 has only 1 moving part. The same cannot be said for the MX8 and just a few years ago the G3 was the top of the Baracuda line.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread