+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rust stain on bottom of pool

Default Rust stain on bottom of pool

Hi all,

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered a hundred times, but as a new user, I can't search the forum yet, so I'll post it here.

We have an inground fiberglass pool. One of our kiddos tossed something metal in the pool before swimming season and it laid there without us noticing. We now have a rust stain where it laid. Will this fade over time? Is there something we can do to remove it? Ascorbic acid didn't touch it. Thanks in advance!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Rust stain on bottom of pool

Have you tried rubbing it with a trichlor tab?

Odds are good that it will eventally fade--I had a rust stain in the deep end in my liner pool a few years ago, and it disappeared over several weeks of high shocking (long story ). But if you have a trichlor puck handy, rubbing it over the spot may do the trick.

Welcome to the forum!
    Janet
    Janet

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

@Janet,

Some caution here is warranted. Chlorine, no matter how high, would not normally removed metal stains. The only mechanism I can think of that would allow it to do so is actually destruction of the portion of the pool surface containing the stain. In spite of the fact that that's how acid washing works, it's not always a good thing.

@OEMom,
    Removing well established stains is hard. One tactic you might try is to put some Iron Out in a sandwich bag, swim down, and open the bag on top of the stain. Iron Out is quite soluble, so the trick is to keep the pool water off of it enough so that it can work on the stain. Obviously, this is easiest if someone in your family is a good breath holder or has SCUBA gear.

You might want to practice with baking soda, to get the hang of opening the bag underwater, without scattering stuff everywhere (and then having it dissolve).

Also, you don't want Iron Out everywhere: it destroys chlorine, and vice versa.

Another possible way of applying it -- I've done the baggie method, but just thought of this one -- would be to saturate a small sponge in an Iron Out paste, and the slide it out of the baggie and onto the stain. If you then immediately put a brick (pre-placed) on the stain, it would hold the saturated paste sponge in place, while keeping the pool water away.

Good luck!

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

You can try a magic eraser by Mr. Clean. You will have to swim down and rub it on the stain, but the eraser won't fall apart, at least not for a while!
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread