+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward Variflo XL Valve question

Default Hayward Variflo XL Valve question

I have a Hayward Variflo Valve and noticed last night that when I ran the filter, water was leaking out of my backwash line. I then saw that the handle pin had popped out of the handle and was stuck out on one side by about 1/2". I tried getting the pin back in but it did not seem to align with the far side. I did not want to hammer or force it in because I have no idea what I am doing. Suggestions for getting the pin back in place and also is this the likely cause of my leak out the backwash line? TIA!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Hayward Variflo XL Valve question

Probably need to take the valve apart. The handle is spring loaded, but with the valve apart, if you arrange things right, you can push on the valve plate and de-tension the handle (I think -- I've never actually had a handle pin come loose). Once that's done, you probably can slide the pin back into position.

But, I'd look at things carefully. There may be crack or some such that is the REASON the pin came loose, in which case you'll have to replace the valve top. But, if the valve bottom is sound, you can simply buy a new valve, and swap the new top for the old without having to mess with piping and so on.

Ben

+ Reply to Thread