+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need to cover my pool for 6 weeks while i am away...help with chemical suggestions

Default need to cover my pool for 6 weeks while i am away...help with chemical suggestions

I will be leaving for 6 weeks and need to cover my pool. I live in NY and so it will be covered in the hight of summer. I keep getting different suggestions as to what my options are so when i come back my pool water isn't completely ruined. Thanks for any suggestions.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: need to cover my pool for 6 weeks while i am away...help with chemical suggestion

For ease of installation and protection, a solid 'tarp' cover will do what you need.

If you have questions about securing it or treating the water, prior to your departure, simply ask.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Re: need to cover my pool for 6 weeks while i am away...help with chemical suggestion

My question IS about how to treat the water. Suggestions???? It will be closed for about 6 weeks - and it is summer. Thanks.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

There are others here who could tell you exactly what and why to dose the pool - I'm not one of them However, if you'd kindly give us a full set of test results, even I can tell you where to get the levels before you cover the pool for 6 weeks. Basically, you're 'winterizing' the pool for 6 weeks in the summer, you need to have adequate chlorine and be sure that your other levels are good for that time period.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You'll probably want to shock the pool and then let it drift down a bit and then maybe add a double dose of polyquat 60 and put your filter on circulate for a day or so. Then bring your chlorine back up a bit before covering it but not to shock level. You don't want to cover a pool that is at shock level as the fumes can damage the cover. I would also take the pH to the upper end of normal like about 7.8. Having said that, let's see what Ben recommends. He'll give you the best advice in this situation. I'm going to ask him to take a look at your thread.

Thanks for your suggestions. I called a few pool companies and they said to balance & shock the pool then put in a winterizing pill as well as some long acting algeaside then two floating chlorine floaters filled with as many slow tab's as they take..probably 3 each. Does this sound okay???

We routinely leave our pool for 6 weeks in August/September. We'll in eastern PA, same weather as you in NY. We bring it to shock level the night before we leave and add polyquat 60 the next morning, then put the solar cover on. We don't have a winter cover or we'd use it. We turn the pump off.

Yes, it's green when we get back. Not a big deal. We dump in 3 large jugs (182 oz) of bleach the day we return and turn the pump on. After a couple of days of steady high concentrations of bleach the water is clean again, albeit cloudy. We keep the pump running, backwash/rinse the filter, might brush the bottom, and within 10 days the water is clear again.

Unless you can hire a pool service or someone to dump some bleach in and agitate it in the water (tough to do with a cover on) you may just have to accept you'll have a green pool. If you use BBB, that should not be an obstacle because a green pool is easy to fix.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I don't know what is in the winterizing pill and wouldn't use it. I also would definitely not use any algaecide other than polyquat 60. Many of them cause a lot of other problems to clean up including foaming. We never recommend any other type of algaecide.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

If you can get the pump on a timer, just being able to run it for an hour, twice a day in recirculate mode, will help. With a cover, and this time of year, you shouldn't have to worry about evaporation dropping the water level and sucking air in the skimmer. I also say recirculate because you don't want the filter plugging. All you want to do is kick the water around. Of course having someone come in whenever possible and check the basic chemistry would be ideal.
    Al

i ordered a 90 day strength algaeside from a company online that i probably cannot name here. wondering this item has the same active ingredient as the polyquat 60 that your talking about.

+ Reply to Thread