+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Most Effective color for solar blanket

Default Most Effective color for solar blanket

Which color solar blanket works the best for heating up a pool during the day? I know that any cover will help reduce heat loss at night, but I'm interested in daytime performance.

One site claims that Blue top with a silver reflective bottom works better, but is that just marketing hype. It seems like a black bottom would absorb alot of heat and transfer would be made to the cooler water below.

Are there any proven results with these various cover options.

1) Blue/Blue

2) Blue/Silver

3) Blue/Black

4) Clear

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Most Effective color for solar blanket

I've had blue top, black bottom opaque,
    Transparent blue,
    Transparent clear.

I have the clear one now and I think it's the best and gives the best green-house effect.
    Carl

I can't speak from experience - all I've had is the blue/blue el' cheap-o model cover (lasted 2 years before it delaminated and got tossed).

However - consider this:

Heat loss is your biggest enemy - and this occurs in pools not so much from radiant heat loss - but from evaporation. Any solar cover (or any type of cover to prevent evaporation) will stop the evaporation problem. Just make sure you have the cover on anytime you are trying to retain heat in your pool.

If you want a cover that will help to 'heat' your pool the most effectively, then clear is your best bet, however even clear will reflect some of the UV energy. Blue will block even more, and black even more. It would seem that black would be best - however I think the heat would mostly accumulate on the top of the cover and be lost to the atmosphere versus being absorbed.

Here's what I do:

If the air temperature is above my water temperature, and I'm trying to get the most out of the sun - I uncover my pool. When the air temp is below my pool temp - I cover it. The evaporation rate is Much Much higher when the air temp is below your water temp.

We used the blue for a few years, then switched to clear. I think the clear may be better. We do have a dark liner, and I think the clear allows the heat to go through the water.

When we used the blue, the warm water was always on the top - you could feel it when you got in. I know that the warm then mixed with the cool, but I still think for us, clear works best.

Terri

+ Reply to Thread