+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Which SaltWater Chlorinator

Quote Originally Posted by rrwcm
    Sean... please feel free to quote my experience with the AutoPilot.

All... I am not affilated with AutoPilot - I just want to share my favorable experience with this device. It is impressive!
    SWEET. Thanks Bill.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

Default Re: Which SaltWater Chlorinator

Quote Originally Posted by SJohnson
    The top two seem to be:

1. AutoPilot - http://www.autopilot.com
    2. AquaRite, by Goldline/Haward - http://www.goldlinecontrols.com

The Autopilot automatically adjusts the chlorine output based on water temps, while the AquaRite doesn't. Otherwise, they seem pretty similar.
    -SJohnson
    How do these 2 systems measure temperature and salt concentration? Seperate sensors & wires?

Mike K

Pool Pilot provides a dedicated tri-sensor that tests for salt, flow and water temperature. The Digital unit will also provide the amount of salt needed to maintain 3000 ppm, as long as the pool volume is appropriately programmed into the menu. The temperature sensor works in conjunction with the automatic temperature compensation, in which the output is automatically adjusted higher or lower, depending on the water temperature changes.

Aquarite provides a flow switch and displays salt levels based upon the cell amperage and voltage. It can be fairly accurate as long as your salt level is maintained, water temperatures are steady and cell is not scaled for failing. This will provide a reasonably accurate salt level.

Hope this helps.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

Exclamation Re: Which SaltWater Chlorinator

Quote Originally Posted by Poolsean
    Pool Pilot provides a dedicated tri-sensor that tests for salt, flow and water temperature. The Digital unit will also provide the amount of salt needed to maintain 3000 ppm, as long as the pool volume is appropriately programmed into the menu. The temperature sensor works in conjunction with the automatic temperature compensation, in which the output is automatically adjusted higher or lower, depending on the water temperature changes.

Aquarite provides a flow switch and displays salt levels based upon the cell amperage and voltage. It can be fairly accurate as long as your salt level is maintained, water temperatures are steady and cell is not scaled for failing. This will provide a reasonably accurate salt level.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks

That's a lot of "IFs" for the Aquarite to be "fairly accurate"!

I have a question about installing an Autopilot system yourself. My pool builder has given me a quote to install an Autopilot system in our new ig pool. The quote seems to be about 50 to 60% higher than the price of the system on the Autopilot web site. I understand the cost of installation, profit, etc but that seems to be a little too high of a markup.

Being an engineer and a fairly handy individual, I was toying with the idea of purchasing the system and installing it myself. Posts by rrwcn and hzz have given me encouragement.

However I have a few questions.

1) What are the benefits of having the pool company install the system (warranty, service, etc)? Is it worth the additional cost? Actually, a better question might be "what are the pit falls of NOT having the pool company install it?"

2) If I do opt to install the system myself after the pool is built, what plumbing considerations do I need to be aware of while the pool is being built?

Right now I have ordered an in-line chlorine system that would be replaced by the Autopilot.

Thanks,

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by ohpoolboy
    1) What are the benefits of having the pool company install the system (warranty, service, etc)? Is it worth the additional cost? Actually, a better question might be "what are the pit falls of NOT having the pool company install it?"

2) If I do opt to install the system myself after the pool is built, what plumbing considerations do I need to be aware of while the pool is being built?
    My advice:

1) The installation is very simple - download the manual and check it out. I see no advantage to paying someone to do this. Many times I have paid extra to have someone do a job for me and then later dissapointed in the service after the sale!

2) Plan now for the AutoPilot! The Control box should be mounted out of direct rain and sunlight. I simply inserted a small piece of plywood into the bottom of a topless Rubbermaid box and mounted it on a post (my location was behind a fence and out-of-sight), cut the lower end out, and the Control box fit nicely inside. I then used two pieces of 3/4 inch liquid tight conduit to protect the wires connecting the AutoPilot to the Manifold and Cell (the conduit lies across a foot path and I wanted to protect them). These wires are 12 feet long so be sure to figure this in when deciding where to locate the AutoPilot Control. The Manifold assembly needs about 26 inches between the filter return and the pipe out of the ground - I had only 14 inches after removing my tablet chlorinator so I had to rotate my DE filter to get the return pipe further away.

The AutoPilot is well engineered and the installation is simple. You can do it!
    Bill Marshall

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any special procedure for converting a pool from chlorine to a SWG?

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Quote Originally Posted by ohpoolboy
    Is there any special procedure for converting a pool from chlorine to a SWG?
    No, an SWG pool (or SWC as some prefer) is a chlorine pool. The chlorine is just introduced in a different way (produced by the SWG cell vice pouring it in in the form of bleach or adding it through an inline chlorinator, or through a floating chlorinator, or etc.).

Davenj is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst Davenj 0

I had the pool company install the manifold when the pool was being built, at no extra charge. Gave them back the inline chlorinator and asked to have the SWG plumbed instead. Electrical sub didn't know what to do with the Autopilot to hook a 2 speed pump to it. I wired it myself, very simple job. Using Ben's test kit and mwsmith2's calculator the pool company (training) rep was amazed when he saw our pool. I actually enjoy taking care of the pool now, don't have to do much, compared to pools I've had in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Davenj
    I had the pool company install the manifold when the pool was being built, at no extra charge. Gave them back the inline chlorinator and asked to have the SWG plumbed instead. Electrical sub didn't know what to do with the Autopilot to hook a 2 speed pump to it. I wired it myself, very simple job. Using Ben's test kit and mwsmith2's calculator the pool company (training) rep was amazed when he saw our pool. I actually enjoy taking care of the pool now, don't have to do much, compared to pools I've had in the past.
    I did basically the same thing... Pool Contractor wanted an arm and a leg or two so I bought it myself (Pool pilot) online and he agreed to plumb it in a wire it for me... I saved probably a thousand bucks but he kept a happy customer! =) It is very straightforward though and feel I could have done it myself if he hadn't agreed! Pool Pilot rocks!

+ Reply to Thread