+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Which SaltWater Chlorinator

Beerman touched on it but I think that it needs to be made clear. We dont recomend putting a salt system on an above ground pool unless it has composite walls and bottom track. A typical above ground has painted steel or aluminum walls that are held at the bottom by a U channel. water that splashes out of the pool runs down the walls fills the track and evaporates. It keeps doing this untill there is a very high and corrosive salt level in the channel and the pool corrodes.

Mark Manning
    Watermaid Canada
    www.watermaid.ca
    mark@watermaid.ca

I for one picked the Autopilot because it seemed a slightly safer bet. I installed it myself and didn't have to worry about flow thanks to the bypass valve (too much flow is not ideal for the generator, probably because it prevents the "instantaneous shocking" that gets rid of chlorine residuals---there may be other reasons). I also like the temperature compensation, and the fact that the unit works with an external timer, or it can use its own timer, to control itself as well as a one or two-speed pump. (Some of these features may be available on the Aquarite, I can't remember). The price difference is not substantial, once you include installation cost. It took me about 5 hours to install, but I fixed a few extra kludges in the boiler/pool equipment room while I was at it (rerouted ugly copper tubing, cleaned up electrical stuff, etc.)

Luigi
    Last edited by semenzato; 03-27-2006 at 10:54 PM. Reason: typo

Default SWC and AG corrosion?

When I was putting my pool package together with the pool store sales person he never indicated any issues of the salt coroding the pool. Same with the place I bought the SWC. When I read this thread I became concerned I made a bad choice so investiged. My conclusions have been:

Many of the newer AG's are made of aluminum and composite. These materials do not corode the same as regular steel.

The diluted amount of salt in the pool is minimal and no where near the amount in ocean waters. My understanding is I will not even be able to detect the taste of salt in the pool.

I am no expert. I do feel at ease now for todays installation of the pool and salt chlorinator. This forum is so helpful for a newbie. Thanks!

SJohnson is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst SJohnson 0

I didn't realize that we were talking about AG pools on this thread . . . In that case, it's worth mentioning that Goldline has another SWC for AG pools, called the AquaTrol. Not sure what the advantage is, but they make two versions . . .

SJohnson

cajunfla is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst cajunfla 0

Can anyone tell me anything about ATLANTIS CHLORINE GENERATORS?
    I know they are one of the few, maybe only, that offer a 10 year warranty on the control unit.

Default AutoPilot SWG - a satisfied customer

I just installed the AutoPilot Digital 220/SC-60 salt water chlorine generator on my 18x36 inground vinyl lined pool (approx 25000 gals). I did the installation myself and had no problems. Most of my time was spent changing my out-of-date electrical connection (I decided to add a exterior 30 amp 220 volt subpanel) and cutting out my chlorine feeder from the DE filter return and adding the AutoPilot manifold. I wired the AutoPilot to control my one-speed pump (it has 2 on-off cycles you can program). Everything was so easy that I was almost afraid to power up the system - I actually decided to sleep on it and reread the manual first! The system came on beautifully and I added the salt - it took overnight for the AutoPilot to fully recognize the 520 pounds of salt - it then reported 3100 PPM. I have no experience with other systems but I can say that I am very impressed with the AutoPilot.
    Bill Marshall

Hi Bill,

Can I share your quote with other interested pool owners?
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

hzz is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst hzz 1 star

Same experience as Bill. I installed the Autopilot myself a couple of years ago.

I like the bells and whistles.Previously I ran my pump 24/7. Now I use the Autopilot to control it and have cut it down considerably.

I also really liked the manifold and bypass valve......that way the water pressure through the cell is regulated automatically.

It doesn't hurt that Sean is here to help with any problems that may arise.
    I can tell you from first hand experience that Autopilot's customer service can't be beat.

Just getting ready to open the pool here in Toronto....this will be my third season with the Autopilot, and so far, so good.

Sean... please feel free to quote my experience with the AutoPilot.

All... I am not affilated with AutoPilot - I just want to share my favorable experience with this device. It is impressive!
    Bill Marshall

Any opinions on the Ecomatic system?

+ Reply to Thread