+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Above ground salt chlorine generator

Default Above ground salt chlorine generator

Looking for advice on what salt chlorine generator to get for an above ground pool. It is a new pool, about 17,000 gallons. I already have the salt in the pool, and had an inline salt chlorine generator that was defective (Splash Simpl Chlor Above-Ground Saltwater Chlorine Generator). Of course, I don't want to spend more than I have to. I know some on this forum are against above ground salt water pools, but I would rather not debate that here. Lets just assume that is dead and I am in the market for a chlorine generator for an above ground pool.
    Thanks

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Above ground salt chlorine generator

I guess maybe some are against SWCG's for AG pools, but I'm not, and I don't think the mods are. We do try to inform people of risks, just like I do every time I tell people to use muriatic acid.

Bottom line: any SWCG with sufficient capacity for your pool's volume and bather load is fine. There's nothing intrinsic to a salt generator that says this one must be for AG pools and that one for IG pools. In fact, a SWCG for an 17,000 gallon AG pool probably ought be a bit higher in capacity than for an IG pool, because AG pools tend to get used more, where IG pools are often more ornamental.

My own experience with SWCGs is limited, but I've used Pentair IC units sucessfully. If I were running your pool, and it was heavily used, I'd get an IC-40. If it's only very lightly used, I'd get an IC-20. But that's just because that's what's familiar to me, and has worked for me.

Ben

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Above ground salt chlorine generator

Welcome to the Forum!

I'll toss in the Aqua-Trol (Hayward/ Goldline) as a decent AG pool SWCG, though at 17000 gal you might want to upgrade to the T-20 cell.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread