+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hi Phosphates

Default Hi Phosphates

Hello Everyone.

As the title suggests, I have high phosphates (2500). I have sufficient chlorine (1.7) and the pool actually looks really good. I have 2 forms of treatment available. I have a bottle of PhosFree and I also have the Phosfloc treatment as well. With the PhosFree, I know I would have to backwash approximately 8-12 hours into the treatment due to the high pressure building. With the Phosfloc, I would treat the water overnight and vacuum the next morning. My question is, given the 2500 phosphate level, would the PhosFree do the job? Or is the Phosfloc necessary. I have treated with PhosFree in the past, but my phosphate level was not quite as high. I do have a vacuum, but I have never used it. Additionally, if flocing and vacuuming is the answer, should I put my pump dial on waste so I bypass the filter?

Please help.

Mike

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Hi Phosphates

I really can't comment on the phosphates, but the question I have is about your chlorine reading. You say that you have sufficient chlorine at 1.7. Without knowing all of your test readings, it is hard for us to know if 1.7 is sufficient or not. Please post a full set of water testing results (FC, CC, TC, PH, alk, Cal hardness, CYA) and tell us what type and volume pool you have. Then, that will help us help you. Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, I guess I should have posted that. I can not find the readout so the best I can do is memory.

TC 1.7
    FC 1.6
    pH 7.8 (added a little acid)
    alk 105
    CYA upper 30s, low 40s

That is all I remember. The guy at the store said everything else looked fine, just the phosphates were high. I think I have read that as long as your other readings are fine...phosphates do not matter. I am too new (pool 1 year old) to know. I have yet to have algae and I do not ever want it. I may be a little too cautious.

I went ahead and started the PhosFree treatment since I had 2 bottles already. I think I will go that route first since it is easier than the Phosfloc. Please let me know if I am off base.

Another question I have is if my chlorine level is good (1.5 or higher), can I still get algae?

Thank you very much,

Mike
    Last edited by mkamp1515; 05-08-2006 at 08:00 PM.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Actually, for the level of cya that you have, your chlorine reading is too low and you are risking an algae bloom. Take a look at the chart at the following link. For cya between 30-50, your chlorine level should stay between 3-6.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=365

I really can't comment on using the phosphate treatments.

Watermon,

Please bear with me as I am still a pool chemical idiot. Is that chart you referenced saying the less stabilizer, the lower the chlorine should be? I thought it would be the other way around. Please explain so I understand better. Thank you for your time and advice.

Mike

Yes. The less stabilizer, the less chlorine you need to sanitize your pool. The more stabilizer, the more chlorine you need to do the same job.

Chlorine breaks down in sunlight. Stablizer is kind of like "sunscreen" for your chlorine. It keeps your chlorine from quickly disappearing on hot sunny days. All outdoor pools need stabilizer. However, stabilizer blocks the ability of chlorine to sanitize your pool. Therefore, the more stabilizer you have in your pool, the higher your chlorine levels need to be to sanitize your pool. You have to have the proper balance of both in your water. Does that make any sense?

OK. I understand. I knew the stabilizer was needed to preserve the chlorine in the pool. But, I did not know the higher the stabilizer level, the higher the chlorine needed to be. I took your advice and increased the chlorinating % on the SWG. I have the little testing kit that came with the pool. It only goes up to 3.0 and the yellow was at least that dark. So, I know it is at least 3.0 at this time. The PhosFree worked some overnight as the phosphate level went down, but it is still between 1000 and 2000. I will probably have to do at least one more treatment. Thanks again for your help.

Mike

I assume the pool store is testing your water & checking your phosphates???

What size is your pool? From experience, I can tell you that with a larger pool, 1 treatment of the Phosfree will not lower your phosphates that much.

I also can tell you NOT to do the Phosfloc unless it is a last resort to cure algae p[roblems.

Keep you chlorine where it should be according to the cya chart & don't worry about the phosphates unless you absolutely have to.
    27ft. Round AG Pool

My pool is free form, 36ft long and 24 ft at its widest and 16 ft at its thinnest. It holds 20,000 gallons as it is 3.5ftx5ftx4ft on the depth. It has a SWG and Tahoe Blue Pebble Tec. I would really like to get the phosphates down. Will multiple treatments of PhosFree work? I know it is expensive but I do not want to floc if I do not have to.

OK. Phosphates still high (2000-2500) . But my pressure on my filter is up only a little. I thought it would go up much higher...but it jumped from 17psi to 22psi and back down to about 19psi over a 6 hour period. I guess since I just cleaned the filter out, washed off all the DE off the grids, and replaced the DE is why my pressure is not just climbing and climbing. My new numbers are this:

FC and TC 3.0
    pH 8.0 (a little high)
    TA 70 (a little low)
    Cal Hard 160
    CYA 40

The guy at Leslie's told me it would take a week or two for the Phosphates to clear. He also indicated I should add Alk increaser and then acid to bring up my TA and lower my pH. Does this seem like good advice? I do use the Jack's Purple Stuff weekly to keep scale from forming. Seems to have worked so far as I have consistent high pH and I am always adding acid (SWG and Pebble Tec-1 yr old). Any thoughts??

+ Reply to Thread