+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hi Phosphates

Default Re: Hi Phosphates

I forget just how much the Phos free will drop your phosphates but it isn't much at all compared to a high 2500ppb reading. It would take MANY treatments to get it down like that.
    27ft. Round AG Pool

Well, finally got the phosphates down to a more acceptable level. Still a little more to go as they are in the 300-500 range. It has taken two 3 liter bottles and a 2 liter bottle of PhosFree to take care of this. So, you are talking over $100 bucks and 10-14 days of running the pump way more than usual (been averaging 12-15 hours a day). So my electric bill will spike a little as well. However, the water is clear as a bell. So, if you ever get a phosphate level of at least 2500, you will need to spend a little money and have some patience.

Mike

cwstnsko is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst cwstnsko 0

My experience was different. My pool is 13,500 gallon IG, and my phosphates tested at 2500+. 4 days after the 1st 2l bottle of phos-free, I was down to 300-500. I added a bottle of salt-water magic, and it's now down to 100-200. Did you leave the pho-free in the filter long enough? My bottle said not to back flush for at least 2 days. My filter ia a cartridge, so the phos free will be in there until the next time I service it, which may be a while. I did not see a pressure rise from the phos-free

On thing worth mentioning was that I held the pH at 7.2-7.4 during the treatment and I shocked to 20 ppm Cl to kill the algae at the same time.

Yeah...I left it in for at least as long as the instructions indicated. I have no phosphate now. I found my culprit...Jack's Magic Purple Stuff. Used to help prevent scale and is a metal sequesterant (sp?). Works great, just has phosphonic acid in it. If used per the bottle instructions, your phosphate level will skyrocket. I stopped using it and poof, no more phosphates after the last treatment.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Bottom line...phosphates are NOT a problem unless you a have repeated algae blooms that cannot be dealt with. If phosphates are not the limiting factor in algae growth then the level is unimportant!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Mkamp:
    Your problem is you have been convinced to use all these chemicals you don't need that are expensive and cause problems. You shouldn't have been using either.

99.9% of all pool problems can be cured with Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda, Muriatic Acid and Cyanuric Acid. Toss in ascorbic acid for some stains and you're done.

All these other chemicals are ONLY after you have used our methods of pool care and you STILL have problems.
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

mkamp1515,
    Read my post in another thread about phosphate levels in my pool!
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showpos...7&postcount=10

I am a prime candidate for algae problems if you believe the phosphate pushers! Look at my avitar and see how clear my pool is!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I would use acid to lower your pH first, then add baking soda to raise your alk without raising the pH back up. If you do it the other way around, you'll raise the alk but then lower it again when you add the acid.

And yes, it's Arm & Hammer baking soda--the exact same ingredient as alkalinity up, at 1/5 the price.

I'd stop worrying about the phosphates--once you properly chlorinate your pool, it doesn't sound like algae is going to be a problem for you.

Janet

jenpen400 Guest

Pool store said my phosphates were over 1000 last year I'm sure they are higher now just watch the clorine. I haven't had any problems everyone who sees the pool want's to know how I keep it so clear and I point my bleach bottles.

jennifer

You are right. I was lured in to buy chemicals I really do not need. I have stopped using them and just kept my chlorine level according to Ben's chart and so far my pool has not looked better. I use baking soda to raise the Alk and muratic acid to lower the pH and that is about it. I did have to raise my CYA recently right before I went on vacation for a week as I was losing my chlorine quickly (was very hot that week 105 degrees everyday). I did throw in a 1 lb bag of shock the day before I left and when I got back home the chlorine level was still between 5-10 which is in line with my CYA level (70-80).

Thanks for the advice.

+ Reply to Thread