+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ascorbic Acid - stain removal

Default Ascorbic Acid - stain removal

I'm in the process of the Ascorbic Acid stain removal. I have well water, 25K gal 30 yr old gunite pool which was drained, acid washed and repainted two years ago. Pick up a stain after that fill and fought it thru most of last year. We opened on 5/13/11 using the BBB method for the first time (which proved to be our easiest opening in 5 years). Within 3 weeks we had crystal clear water and balance was perfect w/ a solid CYA of about 38.

However a slight stain in the shallow area was present, which seemed to grow in streaks over most of the pool surface in the last the couple of weeks. I was familiar with the ascorbic acid treatment. On Friday afternoon I followed the process using about 2-1/2 lbs. we added about 16 oz of polyquat 60 earlier that day when the CL was still at 2. The stain lifted within 30 minutes! The next morning we added 32 oz of Metal Free with the pump on 24/7.

I took readings Saturday evening: FC - 0, CC - 0, pH - 7.2, T/A - 120, Calcium Hardness - 310

Sunday morning (today) the stain was still gone but I noticed the water had become slightly cloudy (no real color), I then added about one gal of bleach at 7:30 am. Now at 3:30pm the water still looks the same level of cloudiness and my current readings are:
    FC - 1.0
    CC - .5
    pH - 7.2
    CYA - 36
    T/A - 120
    CH - 310

I'm obviously concerned about the cloudiness. What action should I be taking?

thanks, herb

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: Ascorbic Acid - stain removal

Keep the pump running 24/7. The cloudiness is from lifting the stain off the pool and adding the sequestering agent. Your numbers look good. Just keep adding bleach to get it up to 3ppms whenever you can. Keep watching your ph and don't let it go above 7.2 until all of the cloudiness is gone. You can put a skimmer sock on the skimmer. If the water doesn't clear in a couple of days let us know.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I would bump up the chlorine a little bit, it's entirely possible that you've got an algae bloom trying to happen. I know you can't go all the way up to shock level for now, but I would at least aim for 3-5 ppm for now. Keep the filter running, and see if that helps.

Janet
    Janet

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

When you get the chlorine to hold, and if the water is still cloudy, let us know. It happens to me when there is a lot of staining and I do the treatment. When this happens I sometimes use a flocculant. I hate to use any chemicals that I don't have to, but sometimes it speeds up the process.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I see that Mbar and I were typing at the same time yesterday--definitely follow her advice--she's the expert on metals around here, besides Ben!!

Great to see you back, Marie.....

Janet

Thanks Janet, I am trying to keep up with the metals forum to see if I can help. I don't have the chemistry background, but I do have lots of experience, since I have had my white fiberglass pool for 12 years, and live in the middle of the woods with a well for my water - makes it very interesting!
    Northeast PA

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Hi, Marie! I'm glad to see you back around here and we ALWAYS appreciate the help you give. As one who has actually seen Marie's pool, I can attest to the fact that she knows what she is talking about. Her pool is perfect and nestled into a beautiful backyard!

Lisa

+ Reply to Thread