+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pool is clear finally, Now the liner is stained.

Default Pool is clear finally, Now the liner is stained.

Hi,

Thanks to all that contributed the help on clearing the cloud in my pool. Now I have a staining issue.

I am afraid to try the absorbic acid, but I want to make sure its the correct thing to do.

I am on a well with a softner. I guess I had break through when filling the pool. Pool is clear but seemed dull, and I noticed a ring around the pool, just below the water line.

Read the posts on this site and bought vitamin C tablets. HOLY COW!!! Did not realize how dirty the liner is. It cleared a spot as so bright I had to put on my sun glasses.

OK Here what I am going to do.

1. Buy absorbic acid. (saw links here for $22 for 2 lbs)
    2. wait for chlorine to get to 0
    3. add polyquat per instructions. ($24 bucks ugg. But better to get what I had before)
    4. Get PH down to 6.8. ( How critical is this? My PH is always 7.2 and never really moves)
    5. add 1/2 lb acid around walls and circ for 24 hours
    6. add some metal something. (This I am not sure. I read to add 1 1/2 more then stated. How critical is this. Will the iron just filter out?)
    7.Add chlorine slowly, but do this possibly with triclor pucks in the skimmer. This will alow the iron to filter. keep chlorine at 2ppm?
    8. After a week or two bring all to normal levels. And dont shock buring this time.
    9.Should I use my sand filter during this process, or the cart filter. The cart is new.

Please add anything if its wrong. I want a bright liner again, and I think all that shocking to get the pool clear did it. I never had a staining issue before.
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool is clear finally, Now the liner is stained.

Hi Lawrosa;

Given your situation and expenses, I don't think I'd recommend doing all that right away. What you can do is get some 100% HEDP -- the only brand with listed ingredients I've found is Jacks Magic "Pink Stuff". The cheapest I've seen is here:
    http://www.horizonpoolsupply.com/sto...ategoryID=4339
    . . . but do NOT overdose!

I can't respond fully this morning, and I'll be gone most of the day, but get that, use it, and hold off on the rest. (You can go ahead and order the ascorbic acid, but wait to use it.)

Ben

your earlier threads for ref:
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...l-cloudy-white

OK so I need to buy a metal chemical that is 100 % HEDP. ( Whats that stand for?) I have 4 pool stores. Look for that on the ingredients??

If I cant find it I will have to order. I might find it today. Then what do I do?
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Lawrosa:

Didn't you say you are in NJ? If so, find a nearby Branch Brook Pools and buy their Mustard Algae remover--you'll see it's 60% PolyQuat and costs about $20, rather than $24.

I can't really help you with the HEDP, I've never worked with it as my pool doesn't have a metal problem.

Carl

PS: Ben posted this link for one brand:
    http://www.horizonpoolsupply.com/sto...ategoryID=4339
    C
    Carl

Yes I have a branch brook. But I am going to find the stuff Ben says first. I am going out today to look.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Proteam Metal Magic is also HEDP (1-Hydroxyethylidene)di phosphonic acid), It is a metal sequestrant and also used as a corrosion inhibitor in many industrial applications. It keeps the metals dissloved in your water from depositing as stain but does not do too much to existing stain in most cases.
    Last edited by waterbear; 06-12-2011 at 11:34 AM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Actually I called anthony pools in manalapan. They have it. Going to get it in 10 minutes.

Here is my vitamin C test. You can see a square that I made with the tablet. You might say the pool does not look that bad, but its the pic. The pic makes it look better.

Some pics are when the pool was cloudy. Took almost 3 weeks to clear.

http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee391/lawrosa/pool/

From what I have been reading there may seem to be a link with all these trouble pools this yr.

I leave my pool uncovered with a leaf net only. Plus on a well. If you read some posts it seems people with trouble are uncovered??? Well??? Possibly someone can put it together... Possibly I was fighting iron algae. Is there such a thing????
    Last edited by Lawrosa; 06-12-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I don't think it is the "uncovered" part that is the problem. I don't cover my pool in the winter and neither does Al (Poconos) who is one of the other mods. Filling from a well is a problem for most people though.

Don't give up. You've come so far. Ben will be back around later and will help get you through this! If he hasn't come back to this thread by tomorrow morning, bump it back up to remind us! He gets pretty busy and he has LOTS of irons in the fire .............

Thanks.

OK Got the pink stuff.

http://jacksmagic.com/pdfs/MSDS-JMPINK.pdf

It says initial dose 1 qt for 10,000 gal. I read on the forums that more is better. I have a 6000 gallon pool. I am going to throw the whole bottle in.

Wish me luck....

I will take pics to let you know.

Oh could I swim with this stuff???? It does not say.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrosa View Post
    OK Got the pink stuff. I am going to throw the whole bottle in.
    http://jacksmagic.com/pdfs/MSDS-JMPINK.pdf

Uggg...Ben I just re-read your post. "Do not overdose"

I hope I did ok throwing the whole bottle in.

Do I need to do anything else???

I do not see it doing anything so far.
    Last edited by Lawrosa; 06-12-2011 at 07:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread