+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OPENING POOL FOR FIRST TIME...need help

Red face OPENING POOL FOR FIRST TIME...need help

Just purchased a home and have a 18x40 inground vinyl liner pool. DE filter and here are my number for the chemicals so far
    PH 6.8
    Free Cholrine 0.5
    Alkalinity 40
    Stabilizer 0

Please help me with regulating it. Thanks

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: OPENING POOL FOR FIRST TIME...need help

OK. first you need to get pH up ASAP. Start by putting a box of 20 Mule Team Borax in the skimmer. Check pH in an hour and if it's not up to 7.2, put in another box. That should do it, but don't use both at once. Add one. Wait, test, then add the other, if needed.
    I'm guessing 32k gallons. So add 6 gallons of 6% bleach (unscented, regular bleach) which should bring your FC up to just over 10ppm and acts as a shock.

Then you'll need to add stabilizer. It's called CYA, stabilizer, conditioner, Cyanuric Acid or IsoCyanuric Acid. Whatever it recommends for your size pool, use no more than HALF. put it in an old sock or pantyhose and hang it over the side, preferably in the return stream. It will take a few days to get in. Aim for a level of 30ppm to start.

You'll also need a proper test kit. In PoolDoc's, Watermom's and aylad's sig is a link to purchase the Taylor K-2006 test kit. Some money goes to help support the forum but none comes to us.

Also, read everything you can at PoolSolutions.com, our sister site.

Carl
    Carl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Another way you can add the stabilizer is to pour it slowly into the skimmer and let it dissolve in the filter. Then, make sure you run your pump 24/7 for at least 4 or 5 days. That is the way I always add mine. It will take up to a week to dissolve, so don't test for it or add more until at least then.

Welcome to the forum! Hope you find it helpful and enjoy being a part of it!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

And to add to their spot-on advice, make sure you're adding chlorine 2-3 times daily so that your chlorine level never drops below 3 ppm while you're waiting for the stabilizer to register in the water. With no stabilizer, it only takes a couple of hours for the sun to consume all your chlorine, so you'll need to be diligent about keeping chlorine in it until you have some CYA.,

Janet

+ Reply to Thread