+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: White hard buildup on vinyl liner

Default White hard buildup on vinyl liner

Our pool set for two years before we started it back up last summer, at which time it had a hard white build up.

This year, there is more. From what I have read, this is likely calcium build up. I am looking for the best way to remove this. Some of it is stained green.

We bought a salt water system this year. Opened up the pool, pool was all clean. Would attempt to vacuum and the return was returning green, murky water. Let it set for a few days, pool return semi clear.

I got fed up putting money into and told husband to drain and we'd clean and start over. It is currently pretty much empty, so no test kit readings to report.

Would love to be able to clean the bulid up off the walls (which is also stained green in spots) before we refill this weekend.

Any tips? I've read to not use chemicals, but the BBB method. I will read that again and try to understand it a little more. It seems like we are pouring too much money into this pool in the way of chemicals, chlorine, etc.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Default Re: White hard buildup on vinyl liner

I should have included that this is a 24 ft above ground pool. Not sure of brand but is not an intex easy set. It is metal sided.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Acid is very hard on vinyl liners, and in any case, I'm not sure what's there.

If it's calcium carbonate, it should bubble or fizz slowly if you pour vinegar on it. Can you do that?

After you do, sprinkle some baking soda till it stops fizzing, and then rinse that away. Even vinegar is low enough in pH to damage a liner over time.

Ben

It did not bubble with just vinegar. After putting baking soda on it, it did not wipe off. With my nails I can scrap it off after putting those two on it. It feels and looks like dried sand.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Welcome to the Forum!

From your description, it sure sounds like calcium (with a little algae for the green). Calcium should react to acid and fizz (like Ben said).

I've got a thought, but I'm not sure it would be safe for the liner, so I'm leery of mentioning it. Replacing the liner would take this issue out of the picture, but I don't know if your finances allow for that. If they do, you can try what I'm thinking of and, if it wrecks the liner, you were ready to get one anyway.

I'm sorry that this post is pretty much 'non helpful'
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

We are hoping we can get one more year from this liner. Thinking a stiffer brush would maybe take it off after using the vinegar and soda. I put vinegar on then rubbed soda on it. Is there a better way to apply the two?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

If you can scrape a bit off, and put it in a glass with vinegar overnight, that would tell us whether it's calcium carbonate based -- it will dissolve overnight if it is. I'm pretty sure I know what it is, but can you go ahead and send me some pictures? (Send to poolforum AT gmail DOT com)

If it's what I think, you can go ahead and refill, and start your pool. I can help you get rid of it over the next few weeks, without damaging your pool. You do NOT want to use a heavy brush, or acid, on a vinyl liner.

Ben

My husband tried to flake some off, it doesn't come off in large flakes, large granules of sand like stuff. will get pics tomorrow of the pool.

Now, some info that my husband just told me......

--pH is always way high, never seems to be able to get it below 7.6. I know we go through a lot of ph minus.
    --Using test strips that came with the saltwater system, the TA is gray, which is not on the strip. He is assuming his TA is way high

Also, we are in the country and use well water, if that is any help.

I thought about cleaning the rest of the bottom and refilling it tomorrow evening and start new.

Is there a step by step guide on how to start your pool up and get it going the right way, without using all the unneeded chemicals?

We do have a saltwater system, just got this year. We use water softener pellets for the salt.

I want to thank all for the help. Truly appreciated. Any questions, just ask.

small granules are fine -- just put some in a clear glass and add vinegar, and leave it overnight. We really need to establish what the granules are, b4 you refill.

It would be a good idea to seal the glass with Saran-type wrap.

It did not dissolve in the vinegar.

And I had already went to bed so did not get the message to cover it.

+ Reply to Thread