+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finally was able to get small test kit...here are my numbers

Default Finally was able to get small test kit...here are my numbers

Hello,

I have ordered the K-600 kit, however in the meantime I did pick up a temp kit for PH and Chlorine...Here are the readings

Conditions taken 18" below water line away from any return lines

Chlorine 0.6 ppm
    Bromine 1.3
    PH 8.2

Any suggestions. I really do not know what I am doing with Chems

Thank You!!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Finally was able to get small test kit...here are my numbers

1) The chlorine measure is for pools using chlorine. The bromine measure is for pools using bromine. In a chlorine pool the bromine measure is useless.
    2) Your chlorine is really low. Normally we suggest chlorine levels based on the level of something else, called stabilizer or CYA for IsoCyunuric Acid. You need to add chlorine at least to a minimum level.
    3) Your pH is too high. Ideal range is between 7.2 and 7.6, but up to 7.8 is ok.

So, add bleach to your water, regular unscented bleach. 1 gallon of 6% ultra will raise the chlorine level by 6 in a pool of 10,000 gallons, by half that in 20,000 gallons (by 3) and by twice that in 5,000 gallons (by 12). You need to AT LEAST get your chlorine range to 5 for now. If your water is green, then at least to 10.

You can lower your pH with muriatic acid, no more than a cup at a time and remeasuring a little later.

Carl
    Carl

I am sorry...I have not thought about using the BBB method, maybe because I do not even know the old school method. Right now the pool is crystal blue and clear (probably not for long with these numbers). It just had a recent water change and chlorine wash maybe a month ago. Sand filter (new) and pool pump (new). It is about 35,000-40,000 gal diving pool with pebble tec finish and attached spa.

Is the BBB method okay with this type of finish? And silly me I just bought 25 lbs of chlorine since I new the Chlorine has not been stabilized since the water change (per pool man that is no longer with us)..

Thanks for your help!!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Absolutely! the Method is really about logical pool maintenance, without guess work and mumbo-jumbo. It works BRILLIANTLY for pebbletec and other hard-sided pools, and just as well for vinyl and fiberglass.

Head over to our sister site, PoolSolutions.com and read the info and tips there. It's a pretty easy read and gives a good grounding. We'll be able to clear up any questions you have then.

Carl
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread