+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So, the family wants a pool.

Default So, the family wants a pool.

We have tossed around the idea of building a swimming pool for about 3 years. Now, we have decided to go ahead and do it. Almost bought a boat instead, but the pool makes more sense. Now, we just have to decide on an above ground or inground. Any pros/cons opinions would be appreciated. Living in Northern Ky, we only get about 4 months of use.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: So, the family wants a pool.

It's not a simple as that. It depend mainly on YOU and what YOU need and like. Each has their advantages. We were all surprised to learn, for example, that typical "ugly" round AG pools tend to get used more than fancy IG pools. Why? BECAUSE they are so darn ugly, nobody keeps them around if they aren't making good use of them. "House Beautiful" doesn't ooh and ah over your 30' round, so, better make good use of it. And so, people do.

Are you lappers or dunkers? Do you need length for lapping or not Lapping means 40 or 12 meteres, minimum. Is your terrain level or sloped?
    Is this for parties or just for play, like personal play?

Just a start,

Carl
    Carl

Gonna sell the home someday? I think most people don't want a pool, so AG. You can always add a deck around the AG and end up with a nice set up.

Good point about the home aspect. If you put in a pool you limit your buyers to “pool people”. I would not let that stop me if I really wanted a pool.

Your lot is a huge factor. If the terrain slopes toward your house a pool can actually act as a catch basin and reduce some of the rain flow toward your house. A thought, because in this case size matters.

An AG pool could lead to an encircling deck which would actually end up needing more maintenance than the pool.

Pool vs boat – man, what a dilemma. A hole in the water into which you pour money, or a water hole into which you poor money.

Just kiddin, I’ve had both and pool wins hands down.
    Circa 1980 IG, VL, 36K Gal, DE, Chlorine

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Manslick View Post
    A hole in the water into which you pour money, or a water hole into which you poor money.
    Reminds of the farmer debating whether to buy a cow or a tractor. His friend says "You'd look pretty silly riding a cow" to which the farmer replies:
    "Yeah, but I'd look a lot sillier milking a tractor."

Carl
    Last edited by Watermom; 06-09-2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Add a bracket on the quote so it would display properly
    Carl

I'd look a lot sillier milking a tractor.
    Well, if the tractor has nipples...

On the way home another thought popped in. New friends.
    Pools seem to create them out of thin air. You will have neighbors you never knew you had neighbors.
    And the liability. I bought a 1 million dollar balloon policy, because you never know.
    Not trying to scare you - just sayin.
    Circa 1980 IG, VL, 36K Gal, DE, Chlorine

Depends. Where I live, everyone has pools, and the people behind me have a fancy IG, with a built-in hot-tub, waterfall, and heater...all the "friends" go to THEM!

Carl
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread