+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pool walls out of square

Default Re: Pool walls out of square

Thought of a way to check radius corners for square.

Look at the attachment. You need some blocking at least as wide as the radius.
    Cut two square pieces of plywood. You’ll probably need an extra pair of hands to hold them agains the wall. Set the blocking as shown and use the framing square to see how it looks.

They may even make offset squares for just such a situation.

Just an idea.
    Attached Images
    Circa 1980 IG, VL, 36K Gal, DE, Chlorine

SalemCastles Guest

I'd use the Pythagorean theorem.. Easier to extend the centre lines of each side to intersect, then measure out from that corner 3' on one wall and make a mark, 4' on the other wall and make a mark. Measure across from mark to mark and you should get 5'. Most builders use it so why they didn't just shows a lack of professionalism. I'm a licensed Realtor in Ontario and want to also point out the potential loss to the value of the house. If it's obvious to see the out of square once the house is built around it then it could be a deterrent when selling. I'd hold all payments and call a lawyer now.

Nice, I know this as the 3-4-5 rule.

Yeah my gut reaction to all this is laywers.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

If you can live with it being out of square, you can get a custom liner that will fit the pool with no wrinkles. If you're willing to accept a defective pool, the least the builder should do is get you the liner that will fit the pool and not charge you extra for it!

They'll have to break out their tape measures (probably for the first time) and be able to give the liner manufacturer exact measurements of the pool and possibly the floor. Maybe this will teach them to 'measure twice, install once'. And have them leave you a copy of the measurements so you can just order a replacement liner yourself in 20 years, without having to deal with them again, IF they are still in business.
    Last edited by waste; 06-14-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

I come from doing cement foundations so we use the construction master calculator to punch the actual measurements in giving you the total squares rather than the 3-4-5 rule. Thant is how I knew it was out of square in the first place. The pool is actually worst than just out of square not a single measurement is right...well other the the 19' length. Here is a pic showing all the overalls and what the squares are suppose to be and what they actually are.

The outside square around the pool measurements to it show how the pool fits in the square foundation

Just to make sure no one is blaming highbury pools, there the company that does the drawings up not the actual installing company.

There still not really getting back to me, just to say we will call you later..blah blah.

I believe they are willing to rip it out and redo it. For the sake of the couple thousand I would get off the price if i just accepted the way it is, should I just tell them to pull it out and put it in correctly, and not have to worry about future issues with it or the lost of value it will cause.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Figstimpy View Post
    There still not really getting back to me, just to say we will call you later..blah blah.

I believe they are willing to rip it out and redo it. For the sake of the couple thousand I would get off the price if i just accepted the way it is, should I just tell them to pull it out and put it in correctly, and not have to worry about future issues with it or the lost of value it will cause.

Jason
    I would...

Thanks, thats what i am thinking after seeing how bad every measurement is out....Am i just nit picking are pools usually out like this on measurements? The vibe i am getting from them is that they are mad at me.

I am just afraid of putting the build way off schedule we are already pushing Christmas time b4 we get in.

Thanks
    Jason

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions, final got them to return my call told them i wanted them to take it out and return my deposit, because I want someone else to put it back in.
    And thats just what is happening, I went to their office and picked up my $13,000 deposit and their coming next week to rip it out. Now I just need to find a new installer on short notice.
    Guess the word lawyer in the last email got them to stop stalling and contact me.

Thanks again, will post new pics when its done.
    Looking forward to being part of this helpful community
    Just keep Swimming

Jason

+ Reply to Thread