+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pool walls out of square

Default Re: Pool walls out of square

the small numbers on those plans are ones i changed, this original one had a 12' shallow and we didnt want that. I only changed the info on the drawings to represent the dimensions.

The shallow end is 14X19X 4', the deep is 14'X14', with a 5'X8' section at 7'. The slopes coming in from the sides and end slope 3', and the slope from the shallow is 6'

Quote Originally Posted by Figstimpy View Post
    the small numbers on those plans are ones i changed, this original one had a 12' shallow and we didnt want that. I only changed the info on the drawings to represent the dimensions.

The shallow end is 14X19X 4', the deep is 14'X14', with a 5'X8' section at 7'. The slopes coming in from the sides and end slope 3', and the slope from the shallow is 6'
    I was referring to the table on sheet 1 titled Installation Data that shows the plan of the pool.

This shows the dimensions from the work points. If the walls are 7” out of square then some of those dimensions were not held.

For example, the table says from point B to point C is 10’-0” and from point B to point K is 31’-9”. If those measured dimensions are not held then you’d have an out of square situation. In other words line B-C is not parallel to line N-K.

I assumed the out of square problem is with the plan, since you mentioned the enclosure would not be square with the house. Are there also problems with the depth as well?
    Circa 1980 IG, VL, 36K Gal, DE, Chlorine

I am pretty sure they never put a tape to it at all by the way it measures, think they just bolted the panels together that were suppose together and didnt check anything else.

I haven't checked the depths as i am not sure what size of coping will be on the top of the walls

When we were planning the pool they would get back to me via email within an hour of sending it... its been 2 days since i sent them saying no to there $1000 deal and the costs i figure it would cost them to take it out. Feels a liitle like there avoiding the situation

Thanks again for your insight

I hadnt noticed that the drawings had the squares on them, I just inputted the data into my construction master. I will check those out next time i am out there.

thanks again

Feels a liitle like there avoiding the situation
    Well could be, though it is the busy time of year. All you really can do is try to reason with them and work out a solution. No one wants a court battle.

You can check the walls against the floor with a framing square. Should be pretty easy to see.

I have never tried Angie's List myself but you might find something there.

Best of luck.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Sorry you're having this issue! With a little care the collar can be removed without damaging the panels - I've done it a few times. There is no doubt that you got a substandard install. Your estimate of the cost to fix it is probably a little low and they are offering you ~10% of that to 'deal with' their mistake. Squaring a liner pool is a little tedious, but not difficult because once you establish one wall, it's pretty easy to get the rest of the pool 'squared' up with it.

I've built over 500 IG liner pools and am willing to discuss this with you more. I HOPE you get decent resolution on this!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

They got back to me, they want to meet up to talk... he said and I quote "theres no way I am gibving you F****** $10,000" I said i wasnt asking for it just saying what it would cost to take it out and redo it, and that the $1000 was a joke.

My question is will the out of square cause any issues down the road such as liner not fitting properly or is it purely going to be cosmetic and just be something I have to get use to looking at every day?

Thanks again guys for all your feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Figstimpy View Post
    They got back to me, they want to meet up to talk... he said and I quote "theres no way I am gibving you F****** $10,000" I said i wasnt asking for it just saying what it would cost to take it out and redo it, and that the $1000 was a joke.

My question is will the out of square cause any issues down the road such as liner not fitting properly or is it purely going to be cosmetic and just be something I have to get use to looking at every day?
    Thanks again guys for all your feedback
    You will most likely have wrinkles in those tight corners <90 degrees and stretching in the ones >90 degrees. Maybe even liner coming out of the coping.

Check how bad the out of square angles are by using a framing square. One of the building experts here may be able to predict the issues.

None of the corners are 90's there 2' round corners so I can't check with a framing square. Do u think the same liner issues will be with the round one as there would of been with the square corners

It’s hard to predict. I’d guess the round corners to be more forgiving than tight square corners. I only have experience with my pool with square corners.
    Even with radius corners you have the angle between adjacent walls.

Maybe waste will drop in for a visit.

+ Reply to Thread