+ Reply to Thread

Thread: replacement stainless steel screws

Default replacement stainless steel screws

Some of t he screws that hold that plate to my skimmer basket in are starting to rust and I would like to buy replacements. Is this something a pool store would have or can I get them from a hardware store? Thanks for the help!

Default Re: replacement stainless steel screws

I bought replacement stainless steel (and some chrome) screws and bolts from a local fastener store for my last two motorcycles ... prices were cheap and I was able to choose grade when I replacing certain critical fasteners.
    18' Swim N Play Yukon Resin Hybrid AGP (7443 gallons)
    Waterway 19" Sand Filter (100#) and 1HP 2 speed pump
    Hayward AquaTrol-RJ salt water chlorine generator
    1 clear pool + 2 ecstatic little girls + 1 happy wife = 1 smiling dad
    Located in the insanely hot locale of central Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    Some of t he screws that hold that plate to my skimmer basket in are starting to rust and I would like to buy replacements. Is this something a pool store would have or can I get them from a hardware store? Thanks for the help!
    I'd get them from a pool store and be prepared for sticker shock. All stainless steels are not created equal. SS for pools needs to be rated for what is known as sour service IMHO.
    This may be overkill for cover plates as sour service would more likely exist inside the filter of a chlorine pool. Strength is not important; resistance to corrosion is the key for pools.
    Circa 1980 IG, VL, 36K Gal, DE, Chlorine

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yes, Manslick is right. Stainless Steel is sort of a catch-all for all kinds of alloys. Some are designed to live in an all-water environment, others in a dryer one. It has to do with whether oxygen is expected to reach the metal. SS for air applications is expected to get wet, but not stay wet. Therefore air hitting it is necessary to keep it stainless. Underwater, it will rust. Underwater S/S is just the opposite. It's better underwater. Some SS is more heat resistant--think of Cuisinart cookware. Other SS is designed to hold an edge, like Buck and Spyderco knives.

And some are for motorcycles! (What do your ride, swimlane? I have 2 Yams, an '02 FZ1 and an '04 FJR)

Carl
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread