+ Reply to Thread

Thread: After Market DE or Sand Filter for Intex Pools?

Question After Market DE or Sand Filter for Intex Pools?

Hi All,

We have a 15' x 48" Intex metal frame pool and horrible water (metals). I have found some after market DE and sand filters on-line that supposedly work with Intex pools. Some are manufactured by Intex. Some are other mfrs.

(1) Anyone have any experience with replacing the filter the Intex came with, with a better one?
    (2) For heavy metal pools, which is preferable, DE or sand?

Thank you!

Cheryl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: After Market DE or Sand Filter for Intex Pools?

We went with a GAME AquaQuick 3/4 HP Sand Filter and Pump System, I think it circulates 2500gph...I'd have to go look at the paperwork. It's our second day running it and the pool has very good circulation. We have a lot (and a lot is an understatement) of iron in our water, I read on multiple forums that a sand filter is best for metallic water. It's only our 2nd day having it on and trying to fight iron so I can't really add much more, sorry.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

If you are fighting metals from iron in your water, you can read through some of the posts in this forum. Look at the post : file:///Volumes/MacHD2/Users/marie/Documents/New%20Pool%20Owner%20With%20High%20Iron%20Manually %20Removing%20Iron.webarchive
    Remember high ph along with high levels of chlorine will let the metals in the water fall out of suspension and land on the surface of the pool. You can use a metal sequestering agent to hold the metals in suspension. I like Proteams Metal Magic or Jacks Magic the pink stuff. The best thing is to prevent the metals from getting in the water - hence the homemade filters that posters have used. Hope this helps, let us know if you have other questions.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

I thought I'd report back and let ya know that after 48 hours with my sand filter on I went from not being able to see 6 inches in the water to having a completely clear pool. I have 80ppm of iron in my water. All I did was add some polyquat and let my sand filter run. So I would highly recommend a sand filter to anyone with even the slightest bit of metal in their pool Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread