+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Experiment: Homemade Sump Pump Filter to get rid of brown water

Talking Experiment: Homemade Sump Pump Filter to get rid of brown water

New pool owner here. I posted a few days about our yucky brown water (well water in New Hampshire). Thanks to this forum I was directed to this post from last year: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...Removing-Iron&

Well, we have our sump pump and batting and we are hooking it up tonight. I cannot WAIT to see if it works. We are about 10 days into this pool disaster and nothing so far has worked.

Wish me luck! I'll keep you posted!

Cheryl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Experiment: Homemade Sump Pump Filter to get rid of brown water

OK. Fingers and toes are crossed! I hope it works. I am so glad I don't have to fill from a well. That is nothing but a pain in the patootie! We see it all the time on the forum. Keep us posted ..........

Cool Re: Experiment: Homemade Sump Pump Filter to get rid of brown water

it will work. i use tube socks filled with batting on the outlet of my kiddie/pop up pool. i wrote about somewhere on here. got the info [on a website with some good advice, but also with some REALLY bad advice - mod ]

BEST way to get rid of iron, PERIOD.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-07-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Ok - the filter has been running since about 6 last night. There is no visible different, but we did pull out a TON of brown sludge this morning so it is removing metals. Just not enough to be noticeable yet. I also ordered a sand filter to replace the lousy filter that came with the pool.

I know the previous person that tried this put bleach in the pool. Can anyone shed any light on this? But for the metal our water is balanced and our levels are good so I am hesitant to add any more chemicals that might upset that.

What are you using to sanitize the pool? The bleach is like chlorine, it just is in lower concentrations than what you buy at the pool store. When you 'shock' or over sanitize to zap all the nasties it makes the metals precipitate out of the water. I think it is because you are temporarily bringing the ph way up....but I don't know, wasn't all that good at chemistry

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Lots of pool stores sell "Liquid Chlorine" that's 6%, same as Ultra bleach. In fact, exactly the same, except, perhaps for price. Then they sell the strong stuff. If it's in 5 gallon carboys it's also LC, but 12.5%. If it's in gallon jugs of 10% or 12.5%, it's usually badged as "Liquid Shock".

"Shock" is a HORRIBLE word to use as a noun for a pool chem.

Carl
    Carl

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Hi cans25,
    I would hold off on raising the chlorine until you filter for a while. As long as you are getting the "sludge" out, you are removing the metals. If it is sludge, it is in a solid form so it can be removed. When the metals are in solution they cannot be removed, then you need a sequestering agent so that the metals don't "fall out" and stain the surface of the pool. Keep running the sump using the batting to filter until the water runs clear, or you remove as much of the metals as you can. Then you can balance the water.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Heyyyy Marie!! (waving)
    Glad to see you back!!

Janet

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Thanks, it's been crazy here, lots going on with family....The pool is now open, and today is sooo hot I am now going to go in it for the first time! I love that the forum is back to it's old self!!!
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

And we love having you back! NOBODY gives better or more articulate directions on the step-by-step process to clear out metals!

Good to see you, Marie!

Carl
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread