+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It's GOOD to find a Site With GREAT Ppl

Default It's GOOD to find a Site With GREAT Ppl

Just a note to thank everyone on here for frank honest advice.
    I started lurking last fall as half way thru the summer i would always start picking up light alge on my ladder, around the skimmer, etc. & would burn thru a gallon of chlorine in less that 5 days.
    Used the Silly Strips, as i call em now
    Sort of had an idea of what i needed to do after reading your posts
    WELL
    Bought a K-2006
    Chimed in with my plan of attack, got tips to fine tune it from u good folks
    A gallon of Chlorine has lasted me almost 2 weeks
    I can adjust the CL in my pool by .5ppl
    Ph is as stable as a rock
    My sister-in law was amazed one nite as she was sitting on the deck, she said if i didn"t know there was water in this thing i would think it was empty, i can see the screw heads on ur main drain, how did you get this thing so clean!!!!
    I just laughed & said i had some good help
    Again, Thanks for ALL of your help.
    Mike

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: It's GOOD to find a Site With GREAT Ppl

"SILLY STRIPS" !

Mike, that is a GREAT name for them! I usually come up with the "catchy" names around here but I think this one's a gem!

"OneBadDog calls them 'Silly Strips'!" Yep, that's a keeper!

CarlD
    Carl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You are most welcome. I can't imagine how you can go 2 weeks on one gallon of bleach. I'm curious ----what size is your pool and what is your CYA reading? Hope you have a great summer.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

He stopped testing with "Silly Strips", Lisa!
    Carl

Hi everyone
    Should have given ya a little background
    24' round, 6' deep in cntr with main drain, 13,500 + gallons
    CYA = 50
    CL = i target 5ppm, grand kid ain't potty trained quite yet, and i know the lil swimmers don"t work too well when they weigh more than him......
    Ph = 7.5

I should have mentioned that i an using 12.5% chlorine instead of bleach, i bought 4 cases when i opened as i had to get sand for the filter also & the pool supply is a straight shot about a mile north of the house.

Also i had the solar cover on for the first week i used that gallon, on a daily basis without the solar cover i only loose 1.5 to 2ppm or free chlorine on a full sun day, our pool is in full sun from 7am to 8PM, which takes 11oz of chlorine to give me 1ppm back, so on the average i am adding at the most 22oz a nite to stay at 5ppm

I made it thru the whirrly birds & now i am getting attacked by cotton wood fuzz balls so i am having to skim & empty the skimmer basket & filter basket 2 X's a day. After these are done flying maintance is a piece of cake. why is it that all of that stuff seems to land in the pool when there is a lot of open space all around..

Again thanks for your help,

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I have the same problem with the whirly birds. We call them helicopters. But, they weren't as bad this year as they are most years for some reason. I think it is because last year I had two of my trees trimmed way back (cut from 70ft tall down to 30 ft tall) so they haven't grown in as full this year as they usually do.

First I had the birds. Not whirly-birds or helicopters (maple seeds) but the birds using my pool as a latrine. A statue on a horse doesn't get hit as much as my pool did. They hit the solar cover for a while but have now given up.
    Then there was the pollen. Like yellow spackle on EVERYTHING!
    Now there's some kind of seed pod that looks like a bug that's 1/2" long, 1/8" across and reddish brown. Looks like some kind of beetle larvae but it's a seed, of some sort, probably an evergreen. And there are thousands of them.

And it all adds to my chlorine demand.....

Carl
    Carl

I had the same problem with the birds. It is the mother birds cleaning out the baby birds mess from the nest. They carry it in their mouth and dropped it on my pool --- rails, solar cover, etc. YUCK, YUCK, YUCK!!! But, it is lessening now. I guess the babies are moving out of the nests.

Best argument for turning them into chicken salad yet!
    Carl

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

But they make fantastic mosquito control!!!!!
    Janet

+ Reply to Thread