Closed Thread

Thread: high level of nitrates

alanleafgobbler is offline Violated AUP (forum rules!) by spamming, SEO, trying to sell stuff, being an online jerk, etc. alanleafgobbler 0

Default high level of nitrates

I take care of a pool that read a level of 10 on nitrates. i added 50lbs of chlorine to the pool and it still reads atleast a 5. is dumping all this chlorine in the only way to get rid of nitrates?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: high level of nitrates

Why do you care about nitrates if the pool is clear and all the other tests come up in the recommended range? What kind of chlorine are you dumping in? How big is the pool? (gallons)

What are your other test results?

Carl
    Carl

alanleafgobbler is offline Violated AUP (forum rules!) by spamming, SEO, trying to sell stuff, being an online jerk, etc. alanleafgobbler 0

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    Why do you care about nitrates if the pool is clear and all the other tests come up in the recommended range? What kind of chlorine are you dumping in? How big is the pool? (gallons) What are your other test results? Carl
    . i care because the pool isnt clear. it looks horrible. id give it 35,000. its perfectly balanced besides the fact i cant get chlorine to stay in it

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Alan,

I think Carl is asking the same thing I would: do you have any reason to trust the test results you've gotten, or any reason to put trust in the people who've encouraged you to do this?

For what it's worth, you can't remove nitrates with chlorine.

Ben

==================

Ok, we cross posted, with your 2nd post appearing after I started mine.

We understand not wanting a cloudy pool, but you hadn't said anything about that earlier. You need to tell us about your pool -- equipment, how you sanitize, how you operate -- and chemistry -- recent test results.

The reason we need this is that "nitrates" are probably NOT the problem, and while adding lots of chlorine may help solve the problem, doing so won't be likely to affect your nitrate levels.

In fact, depending on your water chemistry, and the type of chlorine you added, you may have a whole new kind of cloudiness in your pool.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-07-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Alan, I think Carl is asking the same thing I would: do you have any reason to trust the test results you've gotten, or any reason to put trust in the people who've encouraged you to do this? For what it's worth, you can't remove nitrates with chlorine. Ben
    ok. the pool looks horrible. its balanced except for chlorine. these people have added over 100lbs of chlorine and nothin. i have no idea about nitrates so yea i believe the person who told me. its the only answer ive had in a month that even begins to make sense. when i poured the 50lbs in the pool it definitely changed. it went from green and yellow to just cloudy blue. i guess i just flat out need to know how to get rid of nitrates then

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Alan:
    You can either trust the guys who haven't been able to clean up your pool and keep selling you stuff, or you can try our method.
    You cannot do both.

People come here everyday who who have poured $$$$ into their pool with either mixed or horrible results, like down a sewer.

We can probably help you but
    a) there are no guarantees. It's your pool and you are ultimately responsible for it
    b) We need you to follow our directions as closely as you can, and not follow directions from your pool store.

What have you got to lose? Your pool's already a mess and not swimable.

Carl
    Carl

i need whatever help and advice you have. its not actually my money getting wasted, its a customer. which is even worse in my eyes and i can't give them an answer for there pool. so im all eyes and ears

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

We'll be happy to help. Please reread Pooldoc's post above, and supply the info that he is requesting, and then we can go from there..

Janet
    Janet

"The most common and practical way to get rid of nitrates is, drain it"

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Alan;

I'm closing this thread. You are trying to operate someone else's pool but apparently don't know or have control of all that's being done with it.

That's really not a situation we can help with much, and it distracts us from helping people we can help

Good luck with their pool . . . whoever 'they' are!

Ben

Closed Thread