+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Possible Suction side leak - booster pump

Default Possible Suction side leak - booster pump

I have a problem with my booster pump. It is making a bit more noise than usual, but not a lot. However, when I start the pump, I get a strong flow of tiny bubbles. Very fine, but an almost solid cloud of bubbles. Local pool store recommended that I disassemble the pump (Polaris pb-4). Confirm there was no blockage and that the impeller rotates freely. Check and re-seat input hoses. I did all that, with no trouble found.

What started all this was that a) the pool was cloudy, but all the chemicals are testing good (3 different pool stores have checked - Pool is 25,000 gal. Baquacil). I noticed that the pool cleaner (Hayward Phantom) was not moving much/at all. When I disconnected the cleaner, that's when the booster pump stared kicking out the worst of the "cloud". Per the test setup with the Phantom, the booster pump is putting out roughly 22 lbs of pressure.

On a related note. Re: the cloudiness issue. I believe MOST of my trouble is suspended air bubbles. However, I do think I may have overdone it on the clarifier. although I don't know how to tell.

Any thoughts as to how to diagnose air problems on the booster pump? I have no water leaks, and cannot find any air leaks. Possible hairline crack in the impeller or housing?

Thanks

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Possible Suction side leak - booster pump

Bubbles in the pressure side of pumps ALWAYS mean leaks on the suction side. Finding suction leaks can be hard, but one trick can be to smear clear (so it doesn't look so messy) 100% silicone caulk on possible leaks. If the leak is small, the silicon will often fix it. Regardless, if the silicone 'sucks in' to a joint or threads . . . you have a leak.

Regarding cloudiness: if it IS bubbles (ie, dissolved air) you will ALWAYS have an accumulated bubble layer on smooth surfaces in the water. On skin, the bubbles create a very slick feel.

Ben

Default Re: Possible Suction side leak - booster pump

Disassembled the booster pump last night. O-ring looks good, no clogs in impeller. Re-assembled, and for grins replaced the input hose. Most of the cloudiness is gone. Still getting some air, but I think I am on the right track. I do have a slight water leak in a fitting before the booster pump. I will presume that is where the air is getting in. It will be the weekend before I can dig into repairing that.

Thanks for the advice.

I do have a "cloudy" issue, but I will submit a second post on that one.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread